The escape

Elizabeth's POV

I showered quickly, threw on some clothes, put my hair up and applied some makeup. I carefully packed my few belongings and my impressive weapon hoard. I must say that I was incredible proud of my collections, it had taken years and a decent portion of the money left for me. My globe hoping habits had allowed me to find some rare and interesting weapons to add to my collection. It was my pride and joy, my only processions that I really cared about.

I tossed my bag out of my window into the bushes beneath and followed, jumping out the window landing gracefully on the grass. I picked up my bag and made my way through the dark, hushed Edinburgh streets to Lola's small town house. Lola was the warlock I'd befriended in my six months living here. She was helpful and friendly and asked a fair price for her services. It took me longer than usual to get to her, I took as many of the back streets as possible hoping to avoid cameras and the drunk students invading the streets at this time of night. 

I knocked loudly on her door and waited. A few minutes later she yanked open the door and squinted at me. "What the are you doing here?  It's two in the bloody morning!"

"I need a portal." I shrugged and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Nobody needs a portal at two in the morning." She stated. "Go away, Elizabeth."

"I need a portal, Lola," I repeated. "Please?" I begged. She sighed and led into the townhouse. She led me through to her study where she sat on the desk glaring at me.

"Where are you running off to now?" She asked her voice sleepy. 

"I'm not running off, I'm taking a trip," I said casually, running a finger across the spines of her many books. 

"The thing is last time you 'took a trip' you ended up sending the entire institute into a frenzy and Joe almost killed me so forgive me for being a little wary when it comes to your trips." She shook her head at me

"Please Lola, I need this." I begged of her. 

"It's two in the morning can we not doing this later?" She pleaded. 

"No, I have to do it now before I change my mind," I said, straightening up. She gave me a disapproving look but nodded. 

"Where do you want to go?" She asked preparing herself to make a portal. 

"The New York  institute," I said not meeting her eyes. 

"I presume payment will be in the usual form?" I nodded handing her the seeds from my bag. She smiled and said, "I'll only portal you as far as central park, you'll have to get yourself the rest of the way."  

"That's fine. This is our secret though." I said sternly. "If Joe comes looking for me, I was never here."  She nodded and opens the portal. I threw my bag through it first. "Thank you, Lola," I called to her as I braced myself against the brutally cold wind of the portal. I took a deep breath, psyched myself up and stepped through.  

----------------

Jace's POV

I laid on my bed staring at the photograph in my hand. The little blonde girl smiled happily back at me, her blue almost purple eyes filled with laughter. She wore a blue dress and I had my arm around her shoulders.  It was so long ago, a different time and I doubted that she was still a happy little girl, she certainly wasn't the last time we were together at my parabatai ceremony. I hadn't seen her since, she didn't need me. She had him. That point was proved by the other photo in my hand. She was standing in front of Notre Dame in short yellow dress and heels looking like an adult not a fourteen-year-old, she had his arm wrapped around her waist and was leaning ever so slightly against him.  I should be the one showing her the world. Me, her big brother not him, whatever he was to her. I should be there for her, but I'm not. Alec pushed open the door disturbing me from my thoughts.

"I'm going out on a mission." He told me, taking the photo from me. "She doesn't look much like you," He muttered, "In either of these," 

"She's got a different mom," I shrugged. "I wonder what she's up to," 

"Probably causing trouble if she's anything like you," Alec shrugged, "Do you want to join me on this hunt?" 

"No I'll sit this one out," I took the photos off him and tucked them away. 

"Suit yourself, don't spend too much time moping about her, I doubt she's doing the same," 

------------

The portal spewed me out into what I presumed was central park. I tumbled out of the portal less than gracefully on to the mud and my bag. I stood up and brushed myself. The park was dark and cold, so cold, I looked around in the darkness. I had no idea where I was going.

I had only been to the institute once, for Jace's parabatai ceremony and then I'd been portalled in and out again. We'd been staying at the institute in Madrid at the time and so someone had accompanied me. This time, I was alone,  I had no way back and no idea where I was going. I was lost in the middle of New York City. I had made a terrible mistake. I guess my irresponsibleness might just end up getting me killed this time.