For the Rest of Time

Jace's POV

She went pale as she tried to understand what I had just said. 

"What did you just say?" She said through gritted teeth.

"Raveners are assassins Liz, they don't just attack randomly not usually any way." At that moment it looked like a switch had gone behind her eyes, she flipped out.

"No! Jace you are certifiably insane! I should have you committed. How do you go from getting attacked by demon which happens on daily basis to someone trying to kill me? That is an impossible logic  jump!" I don't think I've ever seen her so angry not even when I accidentally killed her hamster. "So who do you think is trying to kill me? Entertain me."

"Lizzie, this isn't a joke." I said seriously.

"Really Jace?" Her eyes widen. "Oh you are actually serious aren't you?" 

"Deathly." She shook her head at me and jumped up off the bed and ran out the room slamming the door.

"Elizabeth!" 

-----------------

Elizabeth's POV

Since when did my brother become so paranoid? Must have hit his head one too many times. I stormed into Joe's room not bothering to knock. He sat up in bed shirtless, blinking at me. 

"It's okay for you to wake me up but I dare to wake you up you get all homicidal." He fake glared at me. 

"Jace thinks someone is trying to kill one of us." I started pacing in front of his bed, his eyes following me as I went. "Tell me you think he's crazy."

He looked at me and I could see the pity in his eyes. "Elizabeth love, you need to calm down." 

"Calm down! Calm down? My brother just told me he thinks someone is trying to kill one of us and you want me to calm down." 

"Elizabeth..." He started. 

"No. Joe this is insane! My brother is deathly certain that someone is trying to kill us. Please tell me that you don't agree with him?"  I begged him.

"I can't say I haven't thought about it." I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at him. He sat still under the duvet with just his chest uncovered revealing all the scars and permanent runes that curled over his muscles with the most serious looking on his face. "After what happened in Vienna, I couldn't help but feel like it was planned."

"Vienna was an accident." I stated.

"An accident 's where you trip and cut yourself not when somebody stabs you with a knife of demon metal which you just so happen to be allergic to." He snapped angrily.

"We were in a fae nightclub, everyone was drunk or high." I reminded him.

"Even if you're drunk or high you don't accidentally stab someone in the stomach!" He shouted. "You almost died Elizabeth! And now this, maybe Jace is right." 

"For Angel's sake! You're right I did almost die. These things happen to shadowhunters when they go on mission, it doesn't mean someone is trying to kill you!" I snapped back.

"That mission should have been harmless, we were following a couple of misbehaving vamps. We were just having fun at the nightclub, nobody knew we were there. There should have been no violence but you got stabbed tell me you don't think that's suspicious?" He said watching me.

"No I don't think it's suspicious, I thought I'd made that clear." I glared at him.

"You are so naive some times." He said shaking his head.

"Oh please, you're only a year older than me!" I rolled my eyes. "So who do you think it is?"

"Well your Dad was murdered by the circle..."

I cut him off. "No, don't go there!" 

"Liza love, you've got to consider it."  He pleaded with me.

"No I don't! This is insane. I can't talk about this anymore!" I could feel the tears starting to well up in my eyes. "This had nothing to do with my dad. How could it? He's been dead for six years!" The tears fell then as I saw the moment my dad died in my head again. Joe got out of bed and pulled me against his chest kissing my head sweetly. After a few minutes he pulled away and wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"It's gonna be okay. No-one is going to hurt you. I won't let." He promised me.

_____________

Joe's POV

She stared up at me, her beautiful eyes filled with tears. "How can you do that if the Clave takes you away?" She looked down at the ground.

I gently tilted her chin up so I could look her in the eyes and said "That's not gonna happen. I'm not going anywhere without you. I'm going to be here by your side for the rest of time." I kept my face as serious as possible so she could see that I wasn't joking.

She smiled a little and asked. "Even when you're married with six kids and seven grandkids?" 

"Even then. Even when we're both grey and old and wrinkly." I kissed her forehead and she wrinkled up her nose adorably. "Partners for the rest of time?" 

"For the rest of time." She vowed. I hugged her again. 

___________

Sometime later Joe and Elizabeth laid in bed together in each other's arms speaking about nothing and laughing. Jace appeared at the door and watched the two of them, beginning to understand the magnitude of this boy's role in his sister's life. Joe spotted him watching and nodded. Jace nodded back and the pair established an unspoken understanding.