On the walk home

Elizabeth's POV

Before I knew what was going on the demon was on top of me and my head was smashing off the sidewalk setting fireworks off behind my eyes. That was so going to hurt in the morning. My fight or flight instinct kicked in and I reached down to my boot and the seraph dagger stuck in it.

Finally I wrapped my fingers around the grip pulling it out and naming it, the glowing blade springing forth. I thrusted it in to the demon's gut, it recoiled off me in pain. I jumped up, the adrenaline flowing through my blood masking the pain in my head. Joe was stalking it, his magically hidden seraph blade held in front of him, he had that look in his eyes, the one he only got when we went hunting. He was completely enthralled in the moment, calm, collected and completely concentrated. He stalked the demon like a cat does a mouse, following it's every move with his eyes waiting for the perfect time to pounce.

"You alright love?" He shouted over to me not taking his eyes of the demon and threw his blade over to me producing another one from somewhere behind his back.

I caught it perfectly with one hand and replied. "Yeah, all good. You have got to show me where you keep those blades." I added lightly moving myself into a better position a blade in each hand.

"Right after we finish this off." He vowed creeping closer to the demon as I approached from the other side. The demon hissed and turned on Joe, swinging it's tail full of poison at him, in a quick, clean movement Joe cut it off and it wailed in pain, while it was distracted I took the opportunity to drive my blade through it's back sending it back to Hell where it belonged.

____________

Joe's POV

The demon disappeared back to Hell and Liza stood breathing heavily swaying slightly. "That was impressive." I said admiringly tucking my blade back into my hiding spot. She was still recovering and looked more than exhausted, her skin shining slightly, her makeup a little smudged and her hair a little messy, her once perfect curls now tangled.

She gave me a wide grateful smile. "I'd be a goner if it weren't for you."

"You know I'll always have your back Wayland". She smiled, her face pale as she sank down to sit on the pavement. "Are you alright?" I asked worriedly.

"Yeah just give me a minute. Just a little dizzy." She muttered quietly head between her legs. I pulled my stele out and went over to her, carefully took her hand in mine and drew an iratze on it. She immediately seemed better and lifted her head. "Thanks. My head felt like it was going to explode!"

"You did hit your head pretty hard." I pointed out helping her up. I picked up the blade that lay at her feet and replaced it next to the other.

"Wow I hadn't noticed." She said sarcastically clearly feeling better.

"Haha very funny. Now let's get back to the institute before something else decides to try and kill you." I said dryly wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

We arrived at the institute a few minutes later with no further issues.

"I'm going to go change and then we can go wait for the others in the library." Liza told me before running off down the hall her boots clicking as she went. I settled myself onto one of the sofa in the library pulling the blades from behind my back and throwing them on the coffee table. I picked up the well read copy of Charles Dickens' a tale of two cities and began to read. A few minutes later I was woken from my book induced haze by Elizabeth standing in the doorway. She looked so young and almost vulnerable like this, hair in a bun, make up free in her sleep shorts and shirt most of which she'd stolen off me like the one she was wearing now, an old graphic tee with some superhero characters on the front with a blanket in hand in case her tiny body got cold. I motioned for her to come join me and she did curling herself into a ball her head resting against my chest.

"Read to me?" She whispered looking up at me with those beautiful soft blue eyes. I nodded and began to read. Soon she fell asleep against me breathing softly. I readjusted the blanket around us and found myself falling asleep too my head against hers.