Three

It was a pretty nice day at the bar. The sun was out. Not a single cloud in the sky. And, for once, Abbey could be happy for the rest of her life. No Janos, just herself and her friends.

It had been only a few months or so after the incident with Janos. But, Abbey felt completely free from him. It's almost as if she could finally breathe.

"Geez Logan," Abbey said as she watched the man sit at the bar, "What's with you? You don't look like yourself today."

Logan reached behind the counter to grab a beer bottle. He popped off the cap and chugged half the beer down. He set down the bottle and wiped his mouth with his shirt sleeve.

"I had a rough night, that's all." Logan took a few swigs of his beer.

Abbey smiled and shook her head. She grabbed a glass out of the sink and held it in her right hand for awhile. She thought of an idea. Abbey closed her eyes and concentrated on her power. Then, her hands slowly began to heat up, and the glass began to dry. Once it was done, Abbey placed it back in the cabinet and turned around to talk to Logan.

"What kind of, 'rough night', do you mean, Log-" Abbey stopped as two men stood in front of her.

"Can I help you gentlemen?" Abbey asked.

To Abbey's left, the man spoke.

"I'm Charles Xavier." He said.

"I'm Eric Lehsherr." The man in the leather jacket replied.

"Am I supposed to know you?" Abbey asked.

"No." Charles said, "but we do know you, well, I do."

"I've never met you-"

"Yes, I understand that. But since I'm a telepath, I can read you."

"Read me?" Abbey looked confused.

"Charles," Eric said, "we need to get going."

"Right, yes," Charles smiled at Abbey, "How would you like a chance to start over?"

"Start over?"

"To be accepted for who you really are."

"I don't know what you're talking about, this is all so confusing." Abbey rubbed her temples.

"I know about your powers Abbey." Charles said as he held two fingers to his temple.

"Are you telling me, that there are people just like me?" Abbey asked. "People That are my age, who will accept me?"

"Yes." Charles replied.

Abbey thought about it for a few seconds. What could be wrong with this? She could finally meet people who were just like her. People that were somewhat in her age group.

Abbey smiled at the two men.

"I'm in."

❌ ❌ ❌

"This is the place where the others are?" Abbey asked as the three of them walked into what looked like a government controlled building. "I have a bad feeling about being here." Abbey watched as two men walked past her in dark suits.