Eleven

Abbey felt her chest rise and fall. She slowly moved her legs and felt a slight pain. Abbey moved her fingers and felt something in her right hand. She slowly opened her eyes and looked to her right.

"Hey." Alex smiled.

"Alex? What—How did I get here?"

"Shaw threw you out of the sub. You had a bad gash on your side."

"Charles-"

"Charles is fine," Alex replied. "They said that he was paralyzed from the waist down. But, he's keeping a smile on his face."

Abbey chuckled.

"When will I be able to leave?" Abbey asked.

Alex chuckled.

"Slow down, you need to rest and heal."

"I just want to get out of here. I feel, uncomfortable here." Abbey looked at Alex.

"I'll see what I can do." Alex said.

Abbey squeezed Alex's hand and smiled at him.

"Did I say anything, you know, weird, as I became unconscious?" Abbey asked.

Alex laughed.

"Before you passed out, you looked at me and said, 'you know, if this was heaven, it wouldn't be so bad.'"

Abbey blushed and covered her face.

"I said that?" Abbey began to laugh, "oh god, why didn't you stop me?"

Alex chuckled.

"Well A), you were losing lots of blood." Alex moved closer towards Abbey and smiled. "And B), I thought it was cute."

Abbey laughed.

"That'll be the first time I'll ever hear a guy use the word cute."

Alex laughed. He then stood up and told Abbey that he would be back soon.

"Hi, can I speak to Abbeys doctor please."

"Sure, I'll call him." A nurse replied. A few minutes later, a tall man with tan skin and dark brown hair walked up to Alex.

"What can I help you with?" He asked.

Abbey had sat up in bed and watched as Alex spoke to her doctor. She knew what he was doing. Abbey couldn't help but laugh to herself.

"Abbey?" A familiar voice called out.

Abbey looked at the end of her bed and saw Charles. He was in a wheelchair.

"Charles?" Abbey smiled at him. "What are you doing here?"

Hank had wheeled Charles to the left side of Abbeys bed.

"Well, I came to see how you were doing." Charles replied.

"Thank you." Abbey smiled. "How are you holding up?"

Charles sighed.

"I'm trying. But Hank's been working on something that should help me."

"That's good." Abbey said. She looked over Charles's shoulder and smiled. Charles turned around and saw what Abbey was looking at.

"How long are the two of you going to stay quiet about each other?" Charles asked as he turned to look at Abbey.

Abbey sighed.

"I forgot you could read minds."

"You should do something about it." Charles said. "And he should too."