Six

Abbey put on a dark red hoodie and some black running pants. She tied her hair into a ponytail and grabbed her water bottle, her phone, and her earbuds. Then, Abbey headed out of her room and went downstairs.

❌ ❌ ❌

It was still dark as Abbey walked out of the house. If she wasn't going to get any sleep, Abbey usually went for a jog.

Abbey placed her ear buds into her ears and played her music. Then, she began her nightly jog.

After about two hours, Abbey stopped her jog and came upon a tree. She grabbed a branch that was close to her, and she hoisted herself up. Abbey climbed the tree until she was at least four to five feet from the ground.

When Abbey was little, she loved to climb trees. She remembered the smell that came off of the trees in the dewy morning. Yet, for some reason, Abbey never actually saw herself climb a tree. She remembered the texture of the tree, the way it moved in the wind. Abbey remembered feeling sweat move down her face as she climbed. The prick of splinters as her hands tried to hold on. Abbey also remembered seeing a man, his hands were always behind his back. A smile always on his lips as he watched Abbey play. Then, he always took her back inside. He yelled at Abbey, scolded her, and even hit her. Abbey could never see the man's face, it was always blurry.

As Abbey sat on a strong tree branch, she heard a twig snap. Abbey's breathing stopped. She got into her defensive mode. Abbey could almost feel the heat radiating off of her. She knew her eyes had to be glowing by now.

"Abbey?" A voice came from below the tree.

To Abbey, the voice sounded like it was right by her ear. She spun around, lost her footing, and fell four feet to the ground. But she never hit the cold wet grass. Abbey could feel someone's hands around her back and her legs.

"What the hell Abbey?!"

Abbey looked up and could faintly make out the outline of Alex's face.

"Alex?" Abbey tried to calm herself down, "What are you doing out here?"

"Me?!" Alex exclaimed silently, "What are you doing out here?"

"I couldn't sleep." Abbey replied.

"I saw your door open, I thought you might've left."

"Why would I leave?" Abbey asked.

Alex was silent.

Abbey cleared her throat.

"I think you can put me down now Alex."

"Oh, right, sorry." Alex set Abbey on the ground.

"So," Alex started, "when you can't sleep you climb trees?"

Abbey chuckled, the two began to walk back towards the mansion.

"I go for jogs mostly." Abbey put a strand of her hair behind her ear, "I've been having a hard time sleeping lately. I just don't know why."

"Everyone has a hard time sleeping now and then."

Abbey scoffed and rolled her eyes. Thankfully It was dark out so Alex couldn't see her do it.