part eleven

The second the closet door shut to hide my "being there", there was a knock on Jack's door, followed by a female voice calling his name.

"Jack? Can I come in?" The voice prodded. A brief moment later, the barrier between Jack and his mother was opened and I tried to slow my fast, fuming breaths of air down.

I can't believe I'm hiding in a closet.

"Good morning, mom." Jack shriveled, a nervousness coating his words. I had a feeling he was probably running his fingers through his hair and fiddling with his long, bony fingers.

"You're room is a mess, Jack! What happened in here last night?" I heard his mother's footsteps carry around the room, sending shivers up my back as they sulked past the closet. It sounded like she was looking for evidence on a murder scene.

Suddenly, the dark steps stopped by--what sounds like--the edge of his bed. Shit. My black skinny jeans were left laying on the floor last night before we fell asleep.

"Whose are these?!" She shrieked.

"Mom, stop!" Jack yelled. My breathing began to pick up quickly again; I'm never going to be able to see him again. Panic was set in my head, and I fell into a dazed stare in the dark.

• • •

The first twenty minutes hiding in his closet weren't so bad, as I could smell all his clothes and had hope that he would keep to his word of 'a few minutes'. After that, the intensity of my anger was over the roof and I couldn't believe that I had even slept in his room with him last night. Once forty-five minutes passed, I was fuming and I decided to get out of that fucking closet. He and his mother had transfered their argument to the kitchen, so it was just me and my sorrows alone in the room. I snatched my pants up off the floor and pulled them up my legs. How could I be so stupid? Damn you, Rylee. I tied my shoes and looked in the mirror hanging off his closet. I shouldn't be too worried about any man picking me up off the street seeing how my choice of not getting waterproof mascara was affecting me today.

I stumbled over to the big window that I had climbed through last night and started unlatching it. The latches made a loud clicking sound, and I looked back expecting Jack to come running into the room, but he didn't. I was beyond belief that I had actually thought something good could come out of this relationship--or what ever it was. Why would he leave me in the closet for forty-five minutes? Just as I was climbing out of the window, someone grabbed my arm.

"Where are you going?" Jack asked, worry filling his small, brown eyes.

"What the hell, Jack." I cried, turning back to the opening of the window.

Confusion spelled over his face. "What?" He panicked, grabbing my arm to pull me back again.

"A few minutes. Why they hell was I hiding from your parents in a fricking closet for forty-five minutes?" I screamed, not caring if his parents would hear.

"I'm so sorry, Ry, I really am. But did you expect me to let them walk in there and see you undressed laying in my bed with me? I couldn't do that to you." He breathed, sincerity clear in his voice.

I sighed, "I get it, thank you, but you still said a few minutes."

"I'm sorry, Rylee. It won't happen again; let me make it up to you." He grinned, this time pulling my whole body back in through the window.