Chapter 16: An Apology

Ah...the end of Ceremonies. It's a sweet, sweet feeling. Hopefully this final chapter of those wonderful (read: I hated them) things is enjoyable! That said, time for Chapter 16!

Chapter 16

An Apology

"Here we stand, the final precipice before we reach the summit of the Hope Leilani," Maika's voice echoed across the stadium. The crowd was whipping themselves into a frenzy as Serena walked forward to the stage that was set for her and Keoni. She stopped in the trainer box, waiting for the battle that had been building for them to begin. "Harry, being relatively unaware of the state and opinions of the Leilani Ceremonies, what's your own opinion and guesses on who may make it to the finals?"

"Well, I've honestly no idea!" Kalas laughed out good-naturedly. "I'm well aware of Miss Serena's capabilities, but never seen her in an event quite like this. And with Keoni being an unknown to myself, it's hard to tell."

"That's a fair enough assessment," Maika concluded. There was a chime representing the appearance of both herself and Keoni on the screens above the stadium. The judges, meanwhile, were in the middle of the field's side to see their entire battle. "That said, it's time to begin the first semifinal battle, Serena versus Keoni! This is a double battle, each trainer allowed two Pokémon! However, the rules still remain the same: seven flowers for victory! Let's see a beautiful and fantastic battle!"

"Ninetales, Lord Meowth, it's time!" Keoni called to his Pokémon, tossing their capture devices out to have them emerge. Serena watched them carefully, especially as Keoni looked at her. There were words in his eyes, ones he wanted to say, but needed a battle to figure out how to make them flow. It made Serena turn her head back a little, realizing how connected the three of them were; how it tied into her dreams and Ash's as well. They were understanding each other. Now, Serena was ready to impart her feelings to the rival before her.

"Pancham, Sylveon, let's do this!" Serena said, emulating her rival in tossing the pokeballs out. Both Pancham and Sylveon hit the field, looking prepared as they hunkered down against their opponents. It was fitting: the two Pokémon they had first competed against each other with, now going head to head with each other on the same level. But Serena wasn't backing down; she had someone she wanted to meet in the final round, someone with who she now felt intertwined.

Clang!

"Lord Meowth, Fake Out!" Keoni snapped, not wasting his opening. Lord Meowth rushed forward, claws held to his sides as he reached Pancham and Sylveon, both, within seconds. His paws clapped together, the loud sound resounding through the stadium. Sylveon and Pancham flinched from it, giving Lord Meowth a chance to leap back. There was a chime, earning Keoni an easy flower.

"Sylveon, Pancham, I know you can do this! Use Swift and Dark Pulse, right away!" Serena ordered out, not willing to let Keoni get the upper hand on her. Ninetales was beginning to glow slightly from a command that must have been called in the flinching noise. Sylveon shook her head and her feelers whipped outward, sending golden stars in an arc through the air. Pancham, too, recovered, summoning the inky nexus of energy and blasting it out in its helix of darkness. The soaring beam joined with the stars, the celestial objects suddenly funneling around the attack as it made a beeline for Ninetales. The beautiful image quickly earned Serena a flower.

"Now!" Keoni said, snapping his fingers. Ninetales howled out, the white glow reaching its zenith. Serena frowned, realizing that he had ordered a Safeguard. It didn't stop the damage, but given the glowing luminescence of the attack, combined with Ninetales already sparkling fur, the impact of the strike simply made her look even more beautiful.