Chapter 22: A Mending

Here, the battle against Gladion continues! I hope it's a very exciting battle. Of course, to write a part towards the ending I most definitely used Type: Wild. If you know it well enough, you'll know exactly where it fits in when you see it. That said, time for Chapter 22.

Chapter 22

A Mending

"Whaaaat? !" Bonnie cried, almost at the same time as Kalas' voice did. Serena flicked her eyes over to the younger girl, briefly sharing a look with Clemont. "Why did Ash switch? Toucannon is a Flying type, right? Wouldn't she have the advantage?"

"Plus, there's the fact that Araquanid knows an attack like Frost Breath, which Kommo-o is weak to..." Lillie said with a worried tinge in her voice. Serena wasn't sure what to say to either of them as Kommo-o appeared from Ash's pokeball. It wasn't like his team would be a surprise to Gladion, all things considered, so there was no harm in switching it up. It just wasn't like Ash to do so, and she had to wonder. Clemont inclined his head, gripping at his knee.

"I'm sure that Ash has his reasons," the inventor stated. "He can't go into this lightly, of course. Not against a trainer like Gladion."

"I wouldn't worry," Kahili said, crossing her legs comfortably. Her arms were folded against her rather obvious chest while Serena looked at her. Past her was Maka, surprisingly quiet as she sketched every inch of the battle that she could, even with it in motion; she'd been awfully quiet, in general, ever since learning about the upcoming battle, though her eyes also lit up with a spark and willingness to fight. It reminded Serena of her behavior during the incident in Heahea, giving the honey blonde full faith in her rival. Meanwhile, down below, the two Pokémon were clearly itching with anticipation, waiting for their trainers to start off once more. The scritching sound of Araquanid along the rock was quite grating. "Ash knows what he's doing. Always has when it comes to a battle. He just needed the right meaning behind those battles...I get the feeling he has more meaning than ever when it comes to this battle."

"Yes," Serena agreed softly, turning back to watch. All around her, people were on the edge of their seats. Ash and Gladion's feet shifted, and then the blond made the first move in the battle.

"Araquanid, Frost Breath!" he cried, pointing forward. Araquanid made that same scratching noise and it scuttled forward a little, the bubble parting as its mouth did the same, just a fraction. Then the icy breath came spraying out. Unlike the last time it had used the attack, this time it was a little more concentrated, aiming for Kommo-o in a jet.

"Kommo-o, start off with Clanging Scales!" Ash called, bringing his fist up. The scales on the dragon's body quivered, sending their telltale tones all across the arena, and then they fired outwards like a storm of sound. The Frost Breath collided with them, and though the scales managed to stop the deadly attack from impacting with the dragon, it also put a complete hold to Kommo-o's assault on its opponent, the scales freezing and dropping on to the rock. "Now, X-Scissor!"

"Lunge!" Gladion roared. Kommo-o crossed his fists and ran forward, bright pink and purple light streaking from him as he did so. Araquanid was spinning into the familiar green orb as it shot at Kommo-o. Unlike before, its green legs were still visible, though, and both of the combatants slashed at each other. The two collided, sending the sand on the arena rippling. Ash went right into action.

"Use Sky Uppercut! Then nail it with a Poison Jab!" Ash called, punching upwards right in tandem with his Pokémon. Kommo-o's fist glowed a bright white and managed to get underneath Araquanid's belly, avoiding the bubble, and knocking it straight up into the air as its legs flailed around uselessly. Then Kommo-o's fists shined with a purple color and he pummeled forward, hitting every inch of the Water Bubble Pokémon that he could. The attacks that landed on the Bug type's body seemed to cause Araquanid pain, while the ones on the bubble almost always inexorably snapped back.