10. cigarettes and white lilies

i covered skinny love --- listen to it if you want!! ;)

"you're doing that thing again."

"what thing?"

"the thing where you press the cigarette against your skin."

taehyung looked down at his hands; he had the cigarette pressed forcefully into the skin of his wrist. he pulled it away and saw that it had left a small red imprint.

it was as if he made himself relive the sensation of having a cigarette burned out against his skin.

"do you want to eat anything?"

"no thanks."

yoongi raised an eyebrow, clearly worried and trying to hide it. "are you sure? you've been here since four, so i know you haven't had dinner."

"i had lunch."

"but you didn't have dinner."

taehyung shrugged, leaning back into his chair and putting down the cigarette to cross his arms across his chest. his black coffee sat on the table in front of him, barely touched, and his sleeves were pulled all the way over his fingers. soft music played in the empty cafe, echoing lowly.

"i don't need dinner."

yoongi furrowed his eyebrows. "seriously?"

"just drop it, yoongi. i'm fine."

"you're not fine; that's the thing."

taehyung visibly stiffened, clenching at the fabric of his shirt. he stood up, pocketing his cigarette.

"i need to go."

he started walking away before yoongi grabbed his wrist frantically. anger surged in taehyung's chest.

"taehyung, stop-"

"don't fucking touch me!" he jerked away violently, turning around to face yoongi with dark eyes. "i'm fine! i thought you might understand and shit, but clearly you don't, so why don't you just leave me alone and let me fucking kill myself? yeah?"

yoongi stared, appalled at the words that had just left taehyung's lips. all the while, he could still feel the way that his fingers wrapped around the younger boy's wrist so easily.

taehyung was angry, breathing heavily and hands shaking.

they stared at each other for a few seconds, and then taehyung left, slamming the door behind him.

* * *

jungkook glanced nervously at taehyung.

they sat in the break room, side by side, completely silent. taehyung looked worn out and tired, eyes nearly half lidded.

"are you okay?"

taehyung looked up, empty, gray eyes meeting jungkook's worried gaze. he forced a tight smile. "yeah. just tired."

jungkook nodded, averting his eyes. "are you going to eat anything for lunch?"

taehyung shook his head. "not hungry."