Ji Bai & Xu Xu Short Story Part 1.1

The Record of the Marriage Proposal

After a month, the dust finally settled on the Lin Qingyan case. By that time, Xu Xu had been pregnant for six months.

Ji Bai began to mull over his plans for the fourth marriage proposal.

Originally, Ji Bai did not believe in gods, Buddha or fate. However, while having lunch with Zhao Han one day, he mentioned that he had attempted to propose three times, only to have his proposals interrupted by a "corpse" every time before he could even utter a word. (In his second attempt, Xu Xu had said she did not want to get married, but Ji Bai naturally did not tell Zhao Han about this.)

Zhao Han looked somewhat shocked and blurted out, "Chief! You need a change of fortune, some kind of lucky break!"

Ji Bai looked at him with raised eyebrows and asked, "How do I bring about this change of fortune?"

After thinking for a while, Zhao Han's eyes lit up. "Let's do it this way! This weekend, Man Man and I will be going to Luo Han Temple to eat vegetarian food. The temple is known to be very generous in granting wishes. Bring Xu Xu with you to chant." His expression turned solemn as he added, "Chief! To believe is better than not to believe!"

Ji Bai considered for a moment, then smiled faintly and nodded.

It was the weekend. Zhao Han and Man Man led Ji Bai and Xu Xu into the temple. They saw tall trees and beautiful flowers, a verdant brick courtyard, and the light smoke of incense wafting by.

Joss sticks were arrayed in the empty space on the right of the Buddha. A monk sat behind them at a table on which scented sachets were neatly placed.

"Those are wish talismans," Man Man said. "You have to get one!"

The scented sachet was quite exquisite. The brocade cloth had a fish pattern on it, and was intertwined with golden thread. Inside the sachet was a slip of sandalwood-infused paper, to write wishes on.

Xu Xu was unable to bend over due to her big belly. So, she patted Ji Bai and indicated that he should turn around. Pressing the paper firmly on his back, she concentrated intently on writing her wish:

"To grow old together."

With his back towards her, Ji Bai's handsome face was calm and unruffled, although the corners of his mouth slowly lifted in laughter.

When she had finished writing, Ji Bai looked around and asked, "What did you write?" Xu Xu quickly folded up the paper and said with a deadpan expression, "Didn't you hear what Man Man said? That once you have voiced your wish, it will not be fulfilled? Have you finished writing yours?"

Ji Bai chuckled quietly to himself as he took the pen from her and quickly scribbled his own wish on the paper, before putting it into the embroidered sachet.

Luo Han Temple was well-known for having quite a few statues of Buddha. Zhao Han and Man Man walked around happily for a while before paying their respects to a statue of *Guanyin. Ji Bai and Xu Xu strolled to the main hall. As it was still early, there was hardly anyone there. A tall, gold-painted statue of Buddha loomed imposingly in the hall. The atmosphere was infused with a solemnity that seemed boundless.

*TN – Goddess of Mercy

Xu Xu asked Ji Bai, "Help me pay my respects."

Ji Bai held her arm as she slowly knelt down on the prayer mat in the middle of the hall. Xu Xu put her palms together and closed her eyes as she prayed silently: First wish – that Dad, Older Brother and Third Brother will be healthy. Second wish – that this child will be born without problems, and will grow up in good health. Third wish – that Lin City will have fewer murder cases and big cases this year. Well, it seems as if I have no other wishes.