Chapter 68.1

Early in the morning the next day, Ji Bai said: "You need to give someone a call."

Xu Xu nodded.

When the call went through, Xu Xu felt her knees go soft.

While Yao Meng was the sole surviving victim in the 'Angel Killer' case, she was unfortunately also the killer's wife.

If, during that year in Hong Kong, there had truly been another killer in the 'Angel Killer' case who were committing his misdeeds at the same time as Lin Qingyan, then there was the possibility of some kind of involvement with Yao Meng. In order to be prepared for any eventuality, it was necessary to appraise Yao Meng of the situation.

However, Yao Meng's reaction was totally unexpected.

She was silent, silent for an exceedingly long, seemingly endless period of time. Her breathing became laboured, and she attempted to speak several times, but her voice was choked with sobs. Something was clearly wrong. Xu Xu's tone became more chilly: "Yao Meng, what's happened?"

At this moment, Yao Meng was standing in front of the bedroom window, looking at the hazy morning light. She said softly, "Xu Xu, I think there's something fishy about Feng Ye. I don't have any evidence, but my gut instinct tells me there's something not quite right about him. Moreover, you've just told me about a second psychopathic killer who extracts his victims' teeth as mementos. Feng Ye's home, his home . . . there were several dolls that are very odd . . ."

After hearing Yao Meng's trembling words, Xu Xu was dumbfounded.

Countless clues flashed across her mind, the weight of them tumbling like rocks in her head. If Feng Ye was the second killer, if it were really him . . .

Everything that had been inexplicable, now was clear/makes sense/resolved!

That morning, the city criminal investigation team held an emergency meeting.

When Ji Bai signalled to Xu Xu with a nod, she strode to the front of the platform, faced those gathered, and spoke clearly and formally: "Regarding the case involving Tan Liang and Lin QIngyan, we have had some doubts all this while that we could not analyse and explain. These have to do with how Tan Liang managed to get his hands on the potassium cyanide. With his job and his environment, it would have been very difficult for him to obtain the drug without being noticed by the police.

According to Lin QIngyan's testimony, Tan Liang alone was responsible for the third case. It was only after that murder, that Lin Qingyan sought him out. In this case, Tan Liang accurately imitated the 'Angel Killer' case, which was greatly at odds with his own careless, crude and rash personality.

In short, for Tan Liang to have accomplished this crime by himself, is really somewhat farfetched. However, we have all along, been unable to come up with a more reasonable explanation.

In addition, we now know that there was another killer committing crimes at the same time that the 'Angel Killer' was active, and who was never caught. What if this killer-at-large has escaped from Hong Kong to return home, and has involved himself in the 'Tan Liang, Lin Qingyan' case?

At that time, apart from Tan Liang, only Feng Ye was lying low on the mountain for an extended period of time. Besides, an eyewitness discovered in Feng Ye's home, dolls which may possibly contain the victims' teeth. When you put these two pieces of information together, Feng Ye becomes our most likely suspect."

When Xu Xu finished speaking, everyone was in utter amazement.

After a moment of deep silence, Da Hu was the first to speak: "Xu Xu, what you're saying is very reasonable. Moreover, when the connections are made between all these events, the entire case makes sense, and there can really only be this explanation. However, what you've suggested is only conjecture, there is no evidence. How do we investigate?"