Chapter-1

Nicky

Nicky gawked around the huge building, tilting her head as far back as it could go. Pictures and videos didn't do justice to this place. Earth Alien Embassy or popularly known as EAE was spread across 60,000 square meters of land. It started as an Alien Research Center 300 years ago when the first alien showed up on earth. In 3018, EAE was a hub for intelligent species of aliens from around the universe. All Nicky had ever dreamt about was to come here once in her lifetime. Being selected to work as an intern in Alien Medicine was a dream come true.

The guards accompanying her and the three other interns pushed open the heavy double doors. They entered the common area. The floor was being cleaned by robots while people were sitting on their computers, working and not giving them any heed.

They were taken to a waiting room and asked to wait. Nicky was shaking from excitement while the other interns looked unbothered. How could they not feel giddy? Being selected to work as an intern in EAE was a big deal, especially for a small town girl like Nicky. She had worked really hard to get selected. She would be working under the most elite group of physicians on earth. She was the only person in her middle-class family to pursue higher education.

Nicky was about to make small talk with one of the interns when a woman dressed in black entered the room. Her tight bun, knee length skirt and pencil high heels made her look nothing less than a strict librarian. She motioned them to the conference room adjacent to the waiting room. She handed each of them a piece of papers that had multiple choice questions on it.

"Good morning. Welcome to the Earth Alien Embassy." She greeted with a wide toothy smile.

"Working at EAE is a lifetime opportunity. We give this chance only to the best. I am sure each one of you are exceptional students to have been selected to work for some of the greatest alien doctors on earth. We are looking forward to working with you." She turned her head to Nicky and gave her a once over. "I have given you a list of questions, answer them honestly. Take your time, this is not an exam. " She stood there with her spine straight, looking more like a statue than a person.

Nicky started ticking the answers right away without thinking too much about it. The personality based questions were straight forward. It didn't take her long to answer all the questions. When she looked up, all the other interns were still reading their question papers. One of the girls glanced at her paper then at her. The condescending glare wasn't lost on Nicky. She frowned, feeling awkward for answering the paper without much thought. Maybe she should have taken longer. It took the other interns half an hour more to answer the questions before they were finally done.

The woman from before walked into the room and took their papers away. When she left the room, the room fell into an uncomfortable silence once again. Nicky tried to start a conversation to take away some of that nervous energy she was feeling but the girl by her side wasn't interested. After what felt like ages, five people entered the waiting room. Four of them were the world-famous alien physicians for the four intelligent species of aliens staying in EAE, and an older woman Nicky had never seen before.

"Welcome to Earth Alien Embassy," the older woman said in her shaky voice. "You four talented students have been selected to work as assistants for our Alien Physicians in EAE. This is a golden opportunity, and I hope you will make the most of it."

Nicky nodded, feeling a wide smile creep up her face. It was everything she had ever wanted. The circumstances weren't ideal for her. Her parents thought she was wasting her time studying alien medicine but it felt good to prove them wrong. The four physicians standing before them were nothing less than celebrities. They were the representatives of the aliens they worked for, making them quite famous. Nicky wanted to stand there one day. One day, she promised herself.