Chapter-6

Dan

Dan examined his canine in the mirror, running his fingers around the sharp points of his teeth but did not notice any change. He was relieved but he could not digest the fact that he was showing signs of priming when there was no Grosh female around. The retractable coming out unnoticed was only possible if he was priming.

The avath was one of the copulatory organs of Grosh. It was used by mated males during a mating spree. You can have sex with whoever you want but after you are primed to a woman, you become loyal to her. I primed couple raise babies together and stop having sex outside the mated bond. Higher blood pressure, headaches, and exposed avath were classic signs of priming followed by heightened arousal.

Dan could not phantom how he could start priming without a female of his species being around. He could be wrong, the long time he had been away from home might be messing up his biology. Shruti could be right, perhaps it was happening because of high blood pressure. It couldn't possibly be priming.

Dan showered, making sure to turn the water to the coldest setting. He got ready for a meeting he had with the council members of three countries about introducing a new technology.

He came out of his room only to collide with something small. He looked down to see the new intern on her knees holding her wounded elbow.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He asked, sounding ruder than he intended. You couldn't blame him for being in a bad mood when his head was hammering with a dull ache. She looked up in shock as if she didn't expect him to be so crass, she should have known better. He was always an asshole especially to clumsy human beings. He extended his hand for help against his better judgment. Maybe he had been a little too hard on her. He knew how it felt to an outsider, being an alien in a new world.

She was hesitant but took the hand anyway and stood up.

"I am sorry I didn't see you," she said, looking away. He wanted those eyes on him for some fucked up reason. It troubled Dan to see how timid she was. He would consider her sexy if she wasn't so fragile. He could never bring a woman with her delicacy to his bed. He would probably break her if he tried. Shaking his head to get images out of his head, he spoke.

"Don't apologize. What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I..I came here t..to give you these pills for the headache. Dr.Desai said it would make you feel better."

Dan looked at the familiar pills that he took for a headache but surprisingly he was feeling better all of a sudden.

"I don't need them," he said, trying not to sound too rude anymore.

"Okay," she bowed in a respectable gesture that made Dan flinch. It was common for humans to bow to show respect. He had thousands of men and women do it to him, but it had never irked him this way before. In his culture, women bow down when they want their mates to mount them. The way his heart leapt at the sight was definitely something new. He had no idea why he was reacting to her this violently. He dismissed the feeling and walked away without saying anything.

He sat in the meeting absentmindedly, he could not think about anything but about that timid intern bowing down to him. He tapped his pen on the table in impatience. The tap tap was intensified in the quiet of the room, the council glared at him to stop the distracting sound. Dan wasn't the kind of guy to apologize so he just shrugged. They were talking about sustainable power sources for space transport machinery but he could hardly keep his focus. His eyes fell on his wrist and he flinched.

His avath was out again, this time by three inches. He willed it inside and it went in with a wet sound. He stood up, he had to leave, he needed to get his head straight. The council members looked at his confusion. He couldn't let them see the confusion in his face.

"I would have to leave this meeting." He said. "There is no point in your discussion. The technology you are talking about is just a waste of time and money. I think it needs a lot more work," he said, earning a scowl from the engineers. He had heard enough of the discussion to know that the technology wasn't complete.

"Thank you for your insight, Dan, we would definitely think about it," the head council said.

Even though they said they would think about it, Dan's disapproval meant an end to the funding supporting this idea. It was better that way, it needed work, a lot of work, to be honest humans should be investing more in earth development than building technology for space travel. Humans weren't ready to unveil the secrets of the universe yet.

Dan left the meeting to rush to the lab. He slammed the heavy door open to enter EAE's main lab.

"Woh Woh Woh. Why are you barging in my lab," Shruti screeched.

"Do you have the blood reports?"

Shurti frowned, confused by Dan's frantic behavior.

"No. It takes time. Is everything alright?"

"You need to check my venom too."

"What?" Shruti's eyes bulged out in disbelief. She had wanted to check the ingredients of Grosh venom for a long time but Dan always refused. The venom that came out of their avath was potent enough to kill thousands of elephants at once. On their own species the potency of the venom depended on males' status in the society. The stronger the male, the more potent is the venom.

Another reason Dan never agreed for venom study ws because it was difficult to extract. He couldn't give out venom like a snake, it was more tricky than that. The avath only injected venom when inside a living body and that too only if he was enraged or aroused.

These, however, were desperate measures, he needed to know what was happening to him.

"How would I extract the venom?" Shurti asked, a bit uncomfortable.

"With a syringe. You need to extract venom from the venom gland in my arm." He said pointing to the base of his arm. "Check the HCl, Somnote, valium, and ethyl alcohol levels."

"Why all of a sudden?" Shruti asked, concerned.

"I want the reports soon." Dan barked without explaining further. He couldn't tell her anything until he got solid answers. If he was indeed priming, he needed to find out who he was priming with. Or he would have to call home and call it quits. If his body was acting weirdly because of separation from home, he couldn't waste time waiting here, he would have to leave as soon as possible.

"I will ask Nicky to get your venom."

Dan gritted his teeth. "Keep that intern away from me, Shruti, if you want to save your job."

"Do not threaten me, Dan," she said with an equally menacing glare.

"Do not test me," Dan said, clenching his jaw.

Dan could see she wasn't the one to back down. He wanted to argue but his headache was returning and this time more persistent. Dan left the Lab not having the energy for a debate.