Chapter-9

Nicky

Nicky walked to Dr. Desai's office, more confused than she had ever been in her life. Nicky had only seen Dr. Desai in two moods, chirpy or neutral. When Dr Desai called her a few minutes ago, she sounded nervous, which Nicky had never seen before. There was strain behind Dr Desai's voice, almost hesitant.

Nicky halted at the doorstep of Dr. Desai's office, seeing Dan sitting opposite her at her desk. He was wearing a loose brown shirt, his back turned to her. Even though Nicky had promised to stay focused on her work, the sight of him made her heart beat a little faster. He was a handsome dude no doubt but she had never felt this way for any man before. Not the boys at her school nor the men in her university. Dan woke up something inside her she didn't know existed and she hated it. It made her lose control. She was never out of control, her whole life stood on strict self-discipline. She couldn't ruin her career over a momentary crush. Yet, as she stood by the doorway, she felt the need to walk to the alien and sit on his thick thighs.

Dan turned around as if sensing the dirty images in her mind. When his eyes fell on her, Nicky swore she saw his nostrils flare. His eyes glowed with an amber hue. She took a step back, shocked. The glow reminded her once again that he wasn't a human by any means.

"Nicky," Dr. Desai greeted, taking some of the shock away. Before Nicky could greet her back her words died in her throat. Dan had stood up and walked over to her. His body was taller and broader than she remembered. There was no way anyone could ignore the man's presence even if they wanted. She gulped down a solid knot as his eyes ran over her face. Having the full attention of a man such as him was unnerving, to say the least.

"We started on the wrong foot." He said, his voice sounding an octave deeper. "Let's start over. Shall we?"

Nicky was weary of his intention. The sudden change of heart was never a good sign especially coming from Dan. He had a bad reputation for not caring about others feelings, why would he care for hers? Nicky swore, it had to be a test. What else could it be? She vowed to be professional, and he had to be checking her resolve. She nodded anyway, unable to utter a single word.

He extended his big hand for a shake and Nicky accepted it with some hesitation, holding it a little too firmly in nervousness, gasping when he squeezed her hand back. The know-it-all grin on his face made her pull her hand back as fast as she could.

Nicky averted her gaze. Looking at him did stuff in her stomach that she had no name for. Dan wasn't just any man, he was the heartthrob of millions of women across earth. His undivided attention made her pulse race and face heat up. Even though she was looking away she could feel his eyes on her, learning each and every feature in her body.

And what was with his eyes? The glow didn't go unnoticed.

Be confident, there is nothing to be nervous about, he will not eat you--Nicky chanted to herself. The more self-encouragement she gave herself the more she felt her heart beat faster.

"We are having an annual physical exam for EAE employees. I will have to take your blood sample for that," Dr. Desai said, scrambling to prepare a syringe. Her nervousness didn't go unnoticed. The fact that Dr Desai was taking the blood sample for the annual exam, didn't quite sit well with her.

"Are you okay with that?" Dr. Desai prompted.

"Sure," Nicky said, walking away from Dan as fast as possible and going to the exam room. Dr. Desai followed close behind, a blood vile and a syringe in her hand.

"Why don't you make friends with Dan, he could be a nice guy," Dr. Desai said while tying the rubber band around her arm.

Nicky frowned in confusion, Dan wasn't the kind of man people usually made friends with. They would probably bow down in front of him and worship the ground he walked on. Dr Desai had to be insane to expect him to be her friend. "I don't think he likes me that much," Nicky said.