Chapter-5

Nicky

"Why weren't you here when I came yesterday?" Dan asked as he entered Dr Desai's office. He sat opposite her on the chair, regarding her with a pointed stare.

"I went for lunch." Dr. Desai said without looking up from her computer. "I left my assistant to take care of it, didn't I? You were five hours late. You might as well have cancelled the appointment."

Nicky saw Dan's jaw clench and eyes crinkle. Dr Desai had to be insane to talk to one of the scariest aliens like that. Dan's glare was just as intimidating as his overall aura.

"Your assistant?" he raised an eyebrow. " The girl had no idea about what she was doing?"

"People learn, Dan. It's not like she had thousands of Grosh people to train her. She just cut her some slack."

"I was promised excellence, Shruti, not some fumbling intern."

"I was a fumbling intern once." Dr Desai cocked her head to look at him. "Don't worry, you are in good hands."

"Fine," he huffed, standing up. His big frame dominated the office. Nicky looked away, scared he might notice her sitting in the lab, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"I have had this headache since last day. Check my BP and Carbon dioxide levels."

"Go inside the lab and lay down on the bed, my assistant will take the readings." Dr Desai said, leaning back and challenging him to deny. Dan looked like he would say something but turned around at the last moment to walk in the lab.

Dan obviously didn't think of her as worthy. It was a stupid mistake she made yesterday. She couldn't afford to be perceived as an amateur. She had worked very hard to get into EAE, she couldn't let a small mistake ruin it for her.

"You are here today, can't you take the readings?" Dan shouted from the lab as he laid down the table. Dan gave Nicky a once over with a condescending look on his face.

Nicky rubbed her hand unnerved by his stare. Taking a deep breath, she made the resolve to not be scared by him. If Shruti could do it so could she.

"You will have to remove your shirt." she said, without meeting his eyes.

She saw his head tilt from her peripheral vision. His masculine fingers pulled out the buttons from their hole without much effort. He slid his shirt down and put it on the table beside him. Nicky wasn't ready for the vast expanses of his torso or the chiseled muscles of his shoulders. Men spend thousands of hours training in the gym to get a body like that. God was indeed very generous with the Grosh people.

"Are you going to keep staring or do your work?" Dan prompted, making Nicky flinch. She didn't realize she was staring until he mentioned it. She looked away, her face burning with embarrassment. When she fumbled around looking for a syringe, she could almost feel the irritation pouring out from him.

Hiding her nervousness she spoke, gathering her voice, "Give me a moment." she said, preparing the syringe.

She stepped towards him, standing beside his arm checking for veins. It wasn't hard to find one. Most of the veins were prominent, bulging out on their own accord.

She took a few deep breaths, this wasn't the time to admire how perfectly built Dan was. Or the fact that she had never seen a man as fit as him. No wonder he was an alien, a normal human couldn't afford to have a body like him while working full time. She cleaned the space between his forearm and bicep, feeling her hands tremble a little. She had done it many times, it was absolutely stupid to get nervous over such a mundane task. She had drawn blood from thousands of people for god's sake but in spite of all the self-motivation her hands shook under Dan's intense gaze.

"That's it," Dan pulled his hand away. "I am done. What kind of doctors have EAE appointed shaking like a newborn?" Dan stood up, crossing his arms in front of him. Nicky closed her eyes in mortification, as tears spilled out from her eyelids.

"What happened?" Dr Desai walked into the examination room, casually.

"The way her hands were trembling I am pretty sure she would have impaled me with that needle."

"Lay down, Dan," Dr Desai instructed. "Give me that syringe," she said, turning to Nicky. "I am done with your tantrums, Dan. You are hell bent on giving me a hard time."

"I am being reasonable."

"Will you please keep quiet while I take the reading," she said, giving him an earth glare.

Dr Desai did a quick job of taking Dan's blood and measuring his BP. She checked his ears and nose and wrote down specifics on the chart.

"Why is your avath out?" Dr Desai asked, pointing at his wrist with her chin.

Dan frowned looking down at his wrist. The tip of the small bone-like thing on his wrist was peeking out through a small slit. It retracted back inside as soon as Dan noticed it. He must have willed it inside. It was amazing seeing such a fascinating organ on otherwise human-like Grosh.

"Might be the high blood pressure," Dr.Desai said, looking at the BP device. But Dan looked confused and somewhat troubled. He was lost in his thoughts, not hearing anything D. Desai

"I guess you have got all the samples." Dan stood up. "Send me the reports when they are ready." Dan said, putting his t-shirt back on. Nicky looked away, forcing herself to not stare at the ripping muscles on his back. She had to stop acting like a hormonal teenger for god's sake. Nicky felt him give her one last glance before moving out of the office.

"I am so sorry Dr Desai. I don't know why I got so nervous. It was totally unacceptable. I would understand if you choose to report me. But I promise It will not happen again."

"Don't worry about it," Dr Desai said with a dismissive moment of her hand. "I knew he would react like that. That's why I sent you first so you get used to dealing with his assholish tendencies." she chuckled.

"Oh," Nicky never thought of it that way. Contrary to her fears, Dr Desai gave her more tasks that day. She showed her around and taught her a few things about Grosh aliens. AS rough as the start was, Nicky was happy she was working with Dr Desai. The woman wasn't nearly as stern as the other physicians. She saw how her interns were struggling to please their mentors and she was happy she wasn't in their places. As impossible as Dan was, he kept his distance and that was fine with Nicky. His presence always wrecked havoc inside her.