Chapter-7

Nicky

"Did something happen when I sent you to Dan with the meds?" Dr Desai asked, leaning over the desk while Nicky was having dinner in the common area with the other intern. The people around murmured in themselves, Sierra eyed with a smile. The fact that the woman found evil satisfaction from Nicky messing up at her work, boggled Nicky's mind.

Nicky played the scene in the head but came up short. She did not remember saying anything rude to Dan. If anything, he was the one being rude to her.

"I don't think I said anything rude to him. Why what happened?" Nicky asked with dread. The Grosh alien was starting to piss her off. The way he was hell bent on making her life difficult was unacceptable. She had been nothing but polite to him.

"Don't worry about it," Dr Desai waved her hand in a dismissive gesture leaving Nicky alone in confusion. If Dan made some shit against her, Nicky could get terminated from EAE. If she had accidentally angered him, she had no idea about it. She couldn't put her career at stake because of one bad-tempered alien. She had to apologize whether it was her fault or not.

Finishing her food quickly, she walked through the metal corridors to where Dan's quarter was. She flashed her employee card and the double door opened with a woosh. Dan's part of the EAE had fewer people. Nicky had seen Zeta and Vaigan living space, they were nowhere as inconspicuous.

The brightly lit corridor had overwhelmed her the last time she came here. The white walls and stark white marble floor was disorienting to say the least. She walked the small distance from the entrance door to Dan's room, trying not to make a lot of noise with her heels. She scared even the tap-tap from her shoes might set him off. She knew Dan was arrogant before but in person he was unbearable. If she ever became one of the physicians at EAE, she would not be working for him.

She knew which was Dan's room from her previous visit. She stood before his room gathering her wits to knock on the door. She would be a professional and ask for forgiveness. Nicky knew when to back down and if it meant saving her career. She knocked on the door but no one answered. She knocked again but again there was no response. Knowing that Dan must have not been in his room, Nicky decided to wait. The wait turned out to be longer than expected. She sat on the floor tired of standing up.

Dan showed up late at night, shocked to see her before his room.

"Are you stalking me?" Dan asked with annoyance.

"No!" Nicky stood up. "I just wanted to apologize for yesterday and today for crashing into you." Nicky heaved, her heart hammering. She was desperate at this point, wanting nothing more than to save her internship.

"I specifically asked Shruti to keep you away from me then how on earth are you sitting in my doorway?"

Nicky flinched away. She didn't know he asked for something like that. Why wouldn't he want her around, what had she ever done to him except maybe being a little nervous. He couldn't blame her for that, he could make even the bravest man nervous. There was no denying she wouldn't survive a single on EAE without his approval.

"Dan I know you don't like me but please give me one more chance. I have worked very hard to come here, don't make them throw me out, please."

Dan frowned, his gaze softening.

"Throw you out?" He asked, confused. "I didn't ask anyone to throw you out. For fuck's sake," Dan exhaled. "Please never sit on the dirty floor again, it makes me uncomfortable. And go to your room. No one is throwing you out." He said with mild irritation in his voice.

She sighed, nodding her head as she walked away. She decided she would keep her head straight and be in her best behaviour. Act professionally and not get diverted by Dan's looks. She would prove to herself that she could be a good alien physician.

Today was family day. The interns and the EAE employees were allowed to talk to their families but the conversation was recorded. They were not to talk about anything that went inside the facility. Nicky needed someone to talk to. She had gone through so much, she felt exhausted holding everything. But sadly neither was her family interested in her life, nor she could tell outsiders about Dan's arrogance.

She was contracted with her family through a video conference on a lab computer, while a lab technician stood behind her. He said he was there to help her if the computer acted up, but she knew why he was here. It was to stop her from saying anything they didn't want the outsider known.

Her step-sister screamed in excitement as she appeared on the screen. Her mom put on a fake smile. She had been strictly against her pursuing alien medicine. Even now there was pent up anger behind her stare.

"How are you, Nicky?" her dad asked first.

"Did you see Dan?" her sister asked excitedly.

Nicky smiled, nodding at her sister. "Yes." She wasn't sure how much more he could tell them. Was she allowed to tell them she worked for him? She didn't want to take her chances.

Her sister's eyes widened. "Is he as handsome in person?"

Nicky nodded. "More handsome." and she wished she hadn't seen him.

"Holy hell." Her sister acted fainting. Her sister would be more shocked if she knew he was a devil in the cloak of an angel.

"Enough with that Sonia?" Her mom snapped. "Did you get your salary?"

Nicky almost wanted to laugh, she knew her mom would be concerned about her salary of all things.

"Yes mom, I will send you the cheque next week."

Her mom gave a satisfied smile. "Thank you. You know how hard it is for me and your father, it is the least you could do."

"I know, mom," Nicky gritted.

"Can the family visit?" Her sister asked.

"No Sonia, outsiders are not allowed."

Nicky waited for father to say something to her. Maybe just ask her how she was doing but he didn't. She knew he loved her but something stopped him from showing that love especially in front of his family. She looked up at the technicians.

"Switch it off," she mouthed. The man nodded in understanding.

"Okay, will talk to you later. I have to go now."

The man bent down and disconnected the call.

She didn't feel any better talking to her family. If anything it reminded her of her difficult childhood. Later that night she lay on her bed dreading tomorrow and day after tomorrow and days after that. Coming to EAE was one battle but the bigger battle was staying here.