Dear Harvey

"Henry!" I giggled. His hands were around my eyes and he was leading me somewhere. He said it was going to be the best surprise I'd ever have. "Can I open my eyes yet?"

"Just a few more feet, Lena." He said in my ear. "Okay, now." He removed his hands from my eyes and I gasped. He brought us to the site of our first date.

"Oh, Henry." I whispere, turning around to face him. "This is wonderful." Henry leaned in and kissed me quickly. "Well, it is the fourth anniversary of our first date. Why not have our four year anniversary here?" He asked me.

"Come on, let's go." I giggled like a four year old. Henry took me over to the swing set, yes, our first date was at the park. We sat down on the two person swing and held hands and talked and kissed. It was wonderful.

"Lena, I have to tell you something." Henry said, taking both my hands in his.

"What is it, Henry?" I asked.

"You know I'm turning eighteen in two months, and when you turn eighteen, you are put into the draft. I know I promised you I wouldn't enlist, but I signed up anyways. If I didn't, I would have been enlisted the day I turned eighteen, my love." Henry rushed out. I sat there, gripping his hand as a life line. No. I've got too many people overseas fighting a pointless war. I didn't need my Henry overseas with my brothers as well.

"Henry, please don't go." I whispered, staring at the grass.

"Lena, there's no guarantee I'll be going itno war! They say that it will end soon." He offered as some reassurance. I sniffed and threw my arms around him.

"I don't want to lose you!" I cried into his shoulder. "I already worry over Auggie and Harvey, I don't want to worry over you as well."

"Then don't worry over me, my love. I will be alright. I promise." He whispered into my ear. I had a hard time believing him though. The last promise he had made to me was just broken.

After the park, we went to the Italian restaurant down the road, completing the recreation of our first date. We did not go home though. We took a detour to the drive in movie theater one town over and curled up in the back seat of my Bug. I could not let him go. I could not lose him. Not yet, anyway.

*

*

*

June 24, 1973

Dear Harvey,

It's been a while since you've last written and I am beginning to worry. Please write me soon, I am begging you.

Right now, I cannot afford to lose my mind over you and Auggie because I will soon have Henry to worry over. He has enlisted in the army after he promised me that he wouldn't. His birthday is less than a few weeks away and I cannot help but tear up. I cannot lose him just like I cannot lose either of my brothers.  Please write to me, Harvey Bauer. I do not want to go overseas to find you. But I don't want the Navy showing up at the front door to say that you were killed in action.

Please write me. Please.

Your loving sister,

Helene