Dear Henry

The next two months happend in slow motion for me. Henry turned eighteen and I did shortly after him. We had about a month together before the Army sent a letter to his address. It said that he was to be deployed to Virginia for two weeks of trianing before being sent over seas to Vietnam. He came over that afternoon and told me. I couldn't help but cry when he told me. So many friend and neighbors were coming back wounded or dead. I would prefer anyone of my boys to come back wounded instead of dead. That letter came half way through the summer and he would leave for training July 30th.

We made the most of those two weeks. I would either sleep at his house or he would sleep at mine. He had given his two weeks notice and I had put in for some days off so that we could just be together. He would hold me and tell me that he would come home to me, and that when he came home, we will never be apart again.

The night before he left, we did something I promised my Papa I wouldn't do until marriage. I gave Henry my virginity and he gave me his. It was beautiful and a final promise from Henry that he would come home. The morning he had to leave was tearful and somber. We took two cars to the bus stop that would take Henry to the Army base that would fly him down to Virginia. His mom and dad were in one car and Henry and I were in the other. I was fighting to keep the tears from flowing, but it was futile because I was going to cry saying good-bye to him.

We arrived at the bus stop and stood a few feet away from the sign to say our good-byes. I stood a few feet behind Mr. and Mrs. St. Claire as Henry first hugged his mother, and for a very long time as she gripped his sleeves. He reassured his mother that he would come home in one peace. Then, Henry moved onto his father and hugged him tight, muttering a thanks and that he loved him. I don't think I've ever seen Mr. St. Claire cry before.

Henry let go of his father and turned to me. I had already started crying before he wrapped his strong arms around me and lifted me into the tightest hug he's ever given me. I pressed my face into his neck and mumbled;

"Henry, please stay."

"You know I can't, Lena." He whispered. "No matter how much I want to, I can't." I nodded into his neck as I continued to cry. I was not a pretty crier and Henry knew this. Henry set me on my feet and just held me and told me promises that he had to keep.

"Lena, I want you to write me everyday, my love. Everyday." He emphasized. "I want you to tell me what you're feeling, how college will be going, how your family is, how my family is, that you love me, if Augustus or Harvey come home, okay? And I will write you back everyday. I swear to you that I will." He said into my ear.

"I love you, Henry. Please be safe." I whispered, pulling back to look at him.

"I love you too, Helene Bauer. I promise to come back to you." He said as the bus rolled into the stop. He kissed me one last time before grabbing his bag and leaving for war.

A month went by and I had started college without Henry. I had to do a lot of things lately without Henry. He was in Vietnam now and he says that he is under the same commander as Auggie. I was glad that those two had each other to rely on now. I had hope that at least two of my men would come home to me. I still had no contact from Harvey and I began to worry more than normal.

I have been extremely sick the past few weeks and I can't figure out why. I'm not running a fever, but I can't keep anything down. It's just stress. Stress over Henry, Harvey and Augustus.

*

*

*

September 17, 1973

Dear Henry,

My love, I miss you. I write you everyday and yet it is no substitute for you being here with me. I am so stressed with worry, I am sometimes physically sick. Please, please, in your next letter, tell me that the war is almost over and that the three of you will return. Even if it isn't true, just tell me.

Your parents are doing wonderfully, keeping themselves busy. They still invite me over on Saturday night for dinner. My parents are well, they miss you too. Kit and Anna are well, and so is baby Richard. Ansel and his girlfriend are quite happy together and Ansel may go back to school to get his masters degree.

School is well. I've made a few friends, I think you'd love them. I've been having trouble with the maths and science lately. I wish you were here to help me, but I will have to suffice with Kit and Ansie.

All my love,

Lena

*

*

*

*

*

Hello lovelies!!

I know, I know, Henry is off to war. But I won't make him stay away too long. I promise you. So, I was thinking about doing another Historical Fiction. I've actually been writing, then rewriting this particular story for years. This would be set maybe mid 1800's. I dunno. I'll put a snipit up in "A Collection Of Stories" and you guys should tell me what you think!

So, this summer is so freaking hot, it's almost unbearable. But guess what? My birthday is in ten days and I can get my permit in eleven!! I am so excited!!!

Lot's of Love,

DoctorWho