Dear Lena

June 14, 1974

Dear Lena,

Thank you. Thank you for the twins, for loving me, for everything. I promise I'll come home. I heard rumors that the war will end soon, so Auggie and I will be home in no time. In the mean time, I want you and the twins to move in with Albert. I know you love living with your parents, but I just feel hell of a lot better knowing that Albert is looking over you three. And I know that if you three move in with Al, Ansel will move with you. So really, please move in with him. He's a perfect distance between both our parents, so they can come over whenever they want.

I love you, Helene.

Henry

I re-read this for the hundreth time. It's been a month since this letter was sent. The war has been over for a short while now. Auggie was sent home from sick bay. He was shot in the leg as he carried several members of his troop to safety. Kit and Anna were over the moon to have their husband, father back safe and sound. Augustus said that Henry wouldn't be home until late July or August. He was part of the help to keep the peace.

I just wanted him home.

Today, everyone was at Albert's house, helping Ansel, the twins, and I move in. Albert gave Henry and me the Master bedroom and Ansel one of the other rooms. Papa was reluctant to have the two of us move in with my friend, but he knew that he would need more space now. Kit had sold the house she and Auggie lived in to pay her bills, now the three of them live with Mama and Papa. They did not need almost five extra people living with them.

I sat with Albert in the living room as we played with the twins. It was keeping me preoccupied. I needed to focus on the twins, focus on anything but my Henry. Albert made for a good distraction, so do the twins. Cuttently, Albert was on the floor with Pheobe between his legs, making silly faces at her. My babies were just learning how to smile. I was holding onto Harvey, rocking him to sleep. He had stayed up all night with me as I packed, his sister slept through the night.

"Albert, I think you're her new favorite person." I said, lowering myself onto the floor with them.

"Nah, you are. You gave birth to the little angel, after all." Albert said, kissing his nieces toes. "I'll be her third favorite."

"Who's her second?" I asked, shifting the sleeping baby in my arms.

"Her father." Albert said quietly. We didn't say anything as Augustus begrudglingly sat down on the sofa with Richard and Anna. My guess was that Mama and Kit yelled at him for being up and around when he was supposed to sit.

"Lene, how did you and Kit and Mama survive doing nothing for three months?" Augustus asked.

"Um, it was more like six for the three of us, and it wasn't that bad. I didn't get to lift anything, I ate pretty much all day, I still had to work, but other than that... I was lazy." I said, smiling at my one year old brother and neice. "When are you and Kit going to give me a nephew?" I asked. "The babies need another baby to play with."

"Helene, I just came home! Can't you wait until I can be on two legs without pain?" He asked.

"No." Albert and I said in unison. Augustus groaned.

"Albert, do you mind switching? I need to feed her." I said, gently transfering Harvey into his arms. I scooped up my baby and brought her somewhere quiet to feed her. After I emptied my breastmilk, I went into the room the twins would be sharing and laid her down. I noticed that Harvey was in the patching bassinet to his sister. Augustus must have come and put him to bed. The phone rang somewhere in the house, but I ignored it. I watched my babies instead. I know they are only a month old, but I can see that Harvey will look like his father, and that Phoebe will be a perfect mix of us.

Since I no longer beling to a church, the time my babies are asleep is when I find it time to pray. I prayed for the safe return of my Henry, for my brother to heal, for Harvey Bauer to find his place in heaven. 

"Helene!" Ansel shouted, rushing into the room. I gave him a scolding look as the twins gave two tiny squacks, but stayed silent.

"What?" I snapped in a harsh whisper as I pushed my brother out of the room.

"There is a phone call for you!" He said, pulling me into the kitchen. "I'll watch the twins."

I picked up the lime green chord phone off of the table and pressed it to my ear. "Hello? Who is this?" I asked softly.

"Lena." His familiar, husky voice said in my ear. "My Helene, I'm coming home." I dropped into the closest seat  as I played those words over again. He's coming home.

"Henry." I choked out in a whisper. Sobs were silently wracking my body and I couldn't help the tears.

"Shh, love. It's okay." Henry said softly. "Please don't cry."

"I can't help it, Henry." I whispered. "When are you coming home?"

"Next month, at the latest." Henry said. "I have to go, Lena. I love you, all of you."

"I love you too. All three of us do." I whispered as the line went dead.

*

*

*

*

*

Hello lovelies!

I am working on more updates, but they won't come soon. I have work and home work and volunteer work I have to do. 

Go on my page and under following, please go and follow my cousin Anna, because she's a pain in my ass and I love her.

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho