Chapter 8

Song: Moanin' by Charles Mingus

"Would you look at that," I heard someone speak up. Turning my head to the side, I saw Reed standing there with a cocky smirk plastered on his face.

I felt the pressure of my wrist get released, making me stand up and rub my wrist, I closed my window and grabbed the other cat who randomly slipped in, Chestnut, and left, leaving the brothers to argue over something in the hallway. 

"Why are you still up? You don't have the late shift tonight," a female voice spoke up, making me turn around and see Lindsay sitting at the table with her pocket watch out.

"You know I don't sleep," I said, before adding 'well' in the sentence. 

She sighed and stood up and followed me to the training ground. She opened up the weapons case and pulled out her signature weapon, a regular blade, broken in pieces.

"Since you can't sleep, why not you fix you? I know you love fixing things," she said, putting the half broken blade into the palms of my hands. Nodding at her request, I disassembled the whole thing, except the black ribbon handle. Keeping that, I was going to try something new and craft a transparent blade that can't be broken. 

Making a reinforce fiber glass was not easy, but it will look gorgeous. Grabbing the blade mold and filling half way, I waited for it to cool down so I could design the blade with flames bursting up, I walked over to the computer monitor and opened up a document that needed to be finished about Behaviors on humans versus non-humans . 

Some time passed before I started to carve the ember flames erupting, the small wicks at the sharp end and the burning large flame at the handle end. Placing ice blue liquid in the carve, I finished the blade up with the remaining fiber glass and watched it cool down with the moon still high, yet at a curve meaning it was sometime between two and three in the morning. 

Chestnut, the Bengal leopard, Church, the gray Birman, and lastly Thea, the Snowshoe, all came walking towards me and jumped onto the desk, sprawling everywhere. I rested my head on the table and felt the small snowshoe lay in the crack between my shoulder and head, started to purr and radiate heat off her body, luring me into a deep slumber I haven't felt in years.

Waking up to the gentle wind blowing, I forgot I slept in the training area and saw the cats still here. 

"Morning," a voice called out, making me turn around to see Lindsay with two cups of steaming drinks. Handing one to me, she turned her attention to the finished blade and looked at it like a five year old on Christmas. Picking it up with caution and examining it, she strikes on a dummy and slicing it in half and the blade in perfect condition. No dents, no split, no brake.

"Why glass?" 

I shrugged and felt Thea jump on my head, Chestnut on my chest and Church on my crouch, my knees bent and my sheen's on the table. Checking the time to see it was six in the morning, meaning I slept for three or four hours. 

"When's your birthday Ro?" Lindsay questioned, switching topics.

"I already told you enough information on me, why do you need more?" I answered, tasting the warm bitter coffee, scented with caramel in it.

"I want to know more, is that a problem?" 

I nodded and felt someone watching us. I looked up to meet Lindsay's face the same as mine and she left the room to see what was up, while I remained where I was, before the doors got burst open by a person. Slowly turning to see who did it, I saw it was a wolf and Lindsay, making me question what the hell was happening. 

Thea still on my head and the others back on the desk, I continued sipping on my coffee while walking to the situation, I saw one of the recruits rebel against us. Grace. This has happened previously and I knew how to deal with this.

Placing my half full mug on the floor, I started to walk over to Grace with a straight face, which she noted and pointed the blade at my chest, making me raise my hands in defense. Snapping my finger, I felt Thea jump onto the floor and walk away like nothing happened and my hair everywhere.

"Grace, what's wrong?" I asked her, seeing anger and sadness in her hazel green eyes.

"I don't want to be here!" She screamed at me, trying to kill me, but I side step and snatched the blade out of her hand and slid it far away from any contact. With it gone, she tried to strike me in hand combat, causing me to dodge all her attacks to exhaust her body. 

Her body gave out, causing me to catch her and look down into her pain filled eyes, as she cried in my chest, making me sit on my feet and calm her body. She pulled out a small and dull blade and jabbed it into my arm, making me stay in place and not feel the pain. Her horror face looked at me, making me remain still.

"I know your feeling, when I was forced here I couldn't escape, but I can help you," I said, stroking her cheek to remove the salty liquid.

"NO you can't," she whispered, "my parents won't let me."

"I don't have parents, but I can imagine what it would be like, I know a house you can stay in and live however you want without your parents knowing because they can't come here and check up on you," I offered her, pulling the blade out of my left arm.

"Sleep Grace, I'll take you to your room and we can settle this when you wake up," which she nodded and closed her eye lids and heard her breathing go to normal.

Bridal carrying her, I looked back to see Lindsay and Joel standing there. I smiled and mouthed 'she's out' to them. Walking up the banister and to one of the guest bedrooms, I tucked her in and left the room.

Glancing at the wounded arm, I headed to the closest bathroom and got the first aid kit.

"Let me take care of it," someone offered, making me look up in the mirror to see Joel.

Letting go of the alcohol and sitting on the counter, he walked over and started to work on the wound. 

"You okay?" Joel whispered out, looking up with his amber eyes and the gold flakes glowed for a bit. I nodded and asked him a question.

"Your eyes, they just glowed, was it your wolf?" Making him smirk and flash his eyes into a full gold. I took note that meant it was indeed his wolf. 

I didn't notice he finished until I was being forced to look up into the mesmerizing eyes. Feeling my heart fast and blood rushing to my cheeks, he leaned down, his lips close to my ear and whispering "done". He smirked and walked away, leaving me a mess of emotions. What is happening to me?