Chapter 11

Song: Blackbird cover by Cameron Mitchell

Humming a song as I dried my hair with the blue towel, I looked up into the mirror to see my "normal" eyes with a hint of paper white in the middle of the iris, the residue of the potion affect. Wiping the rest of the fog off the mirror and dropping the towel into the laundry basket, and spraying a bit of pine mint cologne that was laying around, I opened the door and left the bedroom to go to the kitchen for water. 

"You look like shit," someone's voice boomed through the manor walls.

I didn't have to think of the person. Turning around and looking at the salty man, and giving him a basic look, I spoke up and told him, "I know, I feel like it too."

We walked side by side as he guided me to the kitchen for a simple glass of water, that glistened like a new born river. Just looking at it, made me feel sick. 

"Not going to drink?" 

"I can't. The day I was brought into the institute, and the first thing I was offered was water, and now, almost anything, makes me sick and I don't know why when it's a liquid," I mumbled, wrapping my hands around the clear glass and holding it in my hand. 

"You know, that's understandable, so what's the plan now?" Reed asked. 

I shrugged and stood up from the table, walking to the entrance, while talking to Reed, "someone has to watch the place, I have to send a letter to the council and inform them what happened and find a new ruler." 

He nodded and let me be, no stopping me, no nothing. Sticking my hand out, he shook it and told me he would see me soon, which I replied saying hopefully not. Stepping out into the last day of summer weather, I started to walk home and find out what I miss.

"As you know, we recently had a rouge incident. Due to this, I will be running this institute, until we get sent a new director. If you have any problem with me running for now, then speak up now," I announced, standing at the head of main table with many alliance members surrounding it.

"Why don't you run it? You've been here for years, compared to us. You know how to run it," a young, dark male spoke up.

"Would you like me to run it Kenny? Would any of you like me to run this?" I asked, shock running through my veins.

Many hands went flying up and smiles being made. I smiled and dismissed them to go back to work and head to the office Lindsay ran, making me salty at her actions back then. Grabbing all her unwanted, useless sheets of paper, I turned on the fire pit and threw them all into the blazing hot flames and watch them curl into black ashes, I tucked my hands into my pockets and threw the pendent that Lindsay gave me, slowly melt with the paper.

Turning to the empty office, I left the room to pack all my belongings in my study room and move it all here and turn that room into a games room. Grabbing leftover boxes and packing all my journals, potion creations and other small things, I went back and forth, hands filled with boxes, hands empty with sweat. 

After heavy lifting and getting my steps in, I finally settled down in the simple black office chair and started my letter to the council of the rouge, stepping into position, and current status with treaty agreements.

Heading to my bedroom, I was greeted with three cats, all scratching my door, making me open it and let them in and walk in all direction. Church running to the bed, Chestnut over by my instruments and Thea looking at me like I'm her prey. Kneeling down and scooping her into my arms and getting my guitar, I laid on my bed and started to strum on the strings to 'Blackbird.' 

I didn't realize I fell asleep while playing the guitar and all types of cat fur surrounding me, causing me to cough a bit and sit up from my position. Still seeing the moon out, I put my guitar away and head to the office. 

Walking in the room, I spotted an old fashion envelope, the signature logo of two swords dueling each other in red wax over the opening. Cutting the wax and taking out the old scroll parchment paper and seeing the cursive black ink telling me I run this place. Wait. I'm actually head of the institute?

Folding the paper and sticking it into the draw I smiled to myself and finally got to where people wanted me to be. How would any alive family members feel? Smiling like a dweeb and leaning back, I stared at the dark ceiling and thought about my future. How will the alliances feel? What would Joel's response be?

Heading to the training area and cleaning the used blades. Hey, I have to make time pass somehow. Inspecting every angles of cleanse, the sharp shine glistening off, I place each blade in their rightful place. Hearing the door echo through the house, I walked to the entrance and opened the door to be greeted by the council.

"Council, what an unexpected visit," I questioned, looking at Council Amber Dane. The first lady to ever become a council. Her slim figure at height with me that went with her natural dark mocha hair, the ends bleached in blond colors, setting her crystal eyes sharp and dangerous, looking at me.

"I know it's rare for council members to come here, but I need to ask you to come with me. I've seen you become strong with alliances in different groups and you have become the rightful leader. I've watched you become the most powerful leader as you grew up. I knew Lindsay wasn't right and I knew you were the one who did her work some days. Come, let's go to the Ash city and give you your leadership."