16 • fleeing the state

annie's pov
-
"annie! hide!" carson came rushing into the room. i was just reading a book i found in the bottom drawer before carson came rushing in.

"what?" i said. "they're here. the cops. now hide!" he whisper shouted. i quickly ran to the closet and closed the door.

not the best hiding spot, i know.

what if they do find me? will they send me back to that laboratory what the call a boarding school? or will they send me to jail?

what about hayden? where is he?

"WHERE ARE THEY?!" i heard a manly voice yell not to far from the room. "i don't know what you're talking about officer." carson said in a calm voice. "i haven't seen julianna in a very long time. why would she come here?"

i clench my shirt and try my best not to make a sound. i'm actually really terrified. "well carson, if you do find them, you must immediately report to the station. understood?" the cop asked him bitterly. i didn't hear carson's reply.

a few minutes later, the closet door opened. it was carson. "look, it's not safe for you here anymore." carson said in a soft tone. "you can hayden need to flee this state. you guys are on every news channel and there's even a bounty on you."

"where's hayden?" i asked. carson softly took my hand and led me downstairs. hayden was on the couch fiddling with his fingers. i run up to him and hug him tight.

he pulls me on his lap still hugging him. "i'm scared." i whisper in his ear. i try my best not to cry. "it's okay. everyone gets scared at some point." hayden said rubbing my back.

i get off him and sit next to him. he slings a arm around my shoulders and pulls me close.

carson sits across from us. "here's the plan; you have to get out of here by tonight. i'm giving you guys passports and my friend will help you go to texas. from there on, use your money wisely and rent a hotel or something. but always be sure to keep a low profile."

what? we're leaving carson and johnny? "i can't just leave you." i said ripping out of hayden's arms. carson comes to me and gives me a tight hug. "don't worry, i'll call you."

i sigh and take a deep breathe. "okay."

...

it was finally night at the time has arrived to where we must part. "got all the bags?" hayden asked throwing the last one in the jeeps trunk. "yeah." i sighed.

hayden walked near me and took my hands in his. he kissed the top of my head slowly and then looked down into my eyes. "it's okay. we will get through this." he said softly.

i nodded and leaned onto his chest, taking my hands out of his and wrapping them around his waist. and he did the same.

"alright kiddos, in the jeep you go." johnny smiled. "call us when you get a hotel."

i nodded and let go of hayden. we both hopped in the back seat and were ready to leave. this is going to be one heck of a ride.