betrayal or a favor done? (Chapter 10)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1K! I was SO happy when I saw it and i'm glad the effort I put in this book is paying off. Thank you SO much! This may be one of the longest chapters i've written, so get ready! (Over 3k words!)

-

Zane reclined his seat before entering the club once again. The alleycats were hurt. Nana was hurt. He hated seeing people beaten down, he hated recognizing and empathizing that feeling. He needed to stop for a second to clear his head, just one second. He calmed down, knowing that Nana was waiting. He knew he'd get his anger out soon anyways, maybe in a hour or so.

So he walked inside once again, motioning for Aphmau and Nana to come over. "Your parents are still here!" Zane said through his mask as he as Nana latched onto his arm and walked toward Aphmau's parents. Eric and Zack were engaged in some not-so-friendly banter, earning the attention of customers around them. Feeling that the air was getting tenser by the second, Aphmau felt like intercepting. So while Teony was doing her final act, Aphmau introduced Zane and Nana. "Zane..? Hey! Glad to see you!" Zack noticed Zane, smiling and shaking his hand. "Nana..? You finally caught him, huh!" Sylvanna grinned at Nana, hugging her and nodding in approval. "You guys are just darn cute!" Sylvanna's comment caused the pair to blush, latching onto one another once again.

"What took you so long, Aph?" Zack asked, hoping she'd stay and get Eric out. "Oh, you know, the same old with these two!" She pointed at them, winking suggestively. Zane was glad he had his mask on, or else his whole face would be a beet red. "Glad to see those two together, it really helps the relationship with the meif'wa-," Score! Aphmau knew her father appreciates the connects with other groups like theirs. "But what about you and that drummer? He keeps winking at you." Zack commented, earning a blush from Aphmau. "Well..." She said, hoping someone could change the subject.

"Dad, we need to borrow you for a second...!" Kasey said, pulling Eric out of his seat and running to Aphmau's office again. "Good riddance." Zack murmured under his breath, earning a death glare from Aphmau. "But anyway, oh..! Look at the time! It's almost 12am..!" Aphmau said, cueing from Zane and Nana to go set up their part of the plan. "Nice seeing you again!" Sylvanna said, smiling at the couple walking off together. "We are going to set up shop a bit earlier than usual. It was great seeing you guys!" Aphmau waved hastily, about to run off when Zack grabbed her arm. "Stop right there young lady! There's something I think you don't want us to know..." He deadpanned, causing Aphmau's mouth to dry.

"W-what could that b-be..?" She stuttered, watching as everyone started to leave and applaud at Teony's finale. "That the Ro'Meaves are back in town." Aphmau's eyes widened. "W-what...? I wasn't aware of that..." She knew that the ties between Garroth and the his parents were stronger than the ties with Zane's, hence why he stopped communication with them. On Garroth's accord, they had to be there for this whole ransom ordeal. "We are in town, the Firefists on in town, and now the Ro'Meaves? This can't be something good." Sylvanna said, pondering on that thought as all of the customers left.

"Ok, well on that note, I think we should end this night here. I don't think it's safe for you guys here." She hurriedly got out of her seat, leaving her concerned parents behind. "She's hiding something..." Sylvanna said, tapping on her chin. "Of course she is! She would never leave us alone about that if it concerned her. Something's wrong." Zack knew he could get the information the second he snapped his fingers, but he decided to see how it played out from a bystander's view. After all, they were still in hiding. So they left the place like nothing happened.

Meanwhile, Aphmau shared the news about the Ro'Meaves, earning gasps by everyone. "Mom and Dad..? It has to be something with Garroth..." Zane snarled, recalling the close-call with Garroth. "What do you mean?" Aphmau asked, concerned. "W-well, he came to my house once and-." Zane stopped, noticing Aphmau's eyes starting to swell with anger. "He's an ENEMY Zane! He could've been using and taking advantage of YOUR resources. Don't do it again!" Aphmau warned. The mention of all of their parents in town and Garroth being the most likely to call for his parents particularly made her annoyed. This new information had to mean a bigger plan was in the works. And she had to get to the bottom of it.