the heart's many strings (Chapter Twenty)

(Please Never Fall in Love Again, a word of advice for someone in particular. An OC that belongs to SpoopyMikL makes a brief appearance in this chapter. She'll be back soon, though. :)

ALSO!! The second part of this chapter has some suggestive stuff. You've been warned! Above is a peek of soMEONE. I made this chapter very long just for them :)

~

Aphmau found the cuffs restraining her to the table becoming troublesome until Dottie finally freed her and took her to her cell. The group of cops were on edge with her being around. The only relief they could afford was going home with the assurance that she would stay behind bars for the night. So, as the group signed out for the night, Aphmau was alone with her thoughts and worries.

Aaron and Lucinda wouldn't stop until they saw Aphmau and her group fall. It was inevitable at this point for her. She was stuck in jail with the 'pups' as her captors. Without her group as back-up, she'd be powerless. What could she do now? She pondered that question as she looked down at the concrete floor. Her purple dress laid tattered, spots of dirt covering the once clean fabric that trailed on the floor. 

They confiscated her heels, for they may be used for escape as a weapon. That was a new excuse for Aphmau. She usually chuckled at the high security that was all just for her, but this time she couldn't even muster a smile. Being behind bars was nothing new to her, but under the circumstances of her previous colleagues, she was experiencing a foreign feeling. It was rare. She almost forgot what it was until she felt something cold slide down her cheek. 

It was loneliness. 

She found a series of water droplets fall on her lap as she stared blankly at the floor. She couldn't reveal how she felt in front of everyone else. She had to keep her trademark poker face on. Those thoughts were nothing but thoughts as she found herself frowning as her breathing quickened. Her eyes welled up with more tears as she laid down on her stiff mattress, curling up and hugging her torso. 

Her soft sobs pierced the air as someone approached her cell, their footsteps heavy and quick. Just as she heard the soft jingle of keys, she perked up and wiped her tears away, regaining her composure quickly. She knew the puffiness in her eyes and the hoarseness in her voice was impossible to cover, but it would do. She sat up and turned to see him. Her breathing stopped as he walked in, tucking the stolen chain of keys back into his pocket.

"I've got a couple minutes in here until the receptionist realizes she lost her keys. What about you?"

"Gee, I must be lucky to see you Aaron. We both know that I don't have visiting hours, so why bother."

She narrowed her eyes at him and turned back to the wall, laying down on the hard mattress and scratchy blanket. He sighed and walked closer to her, sitting down on the edge of the mattress.

"Why are you here Lycan? Are you just going to rub in my face that you caught me? That I'm finally going to pay for something I didn't do?"

Aphmau snarled, the bitterness in her voice making his stomach churn. In reality, she felt a little relief that it wasn't a guard or even worse, Lucinda, coming to her cell. He wasn't the best person to see in this situation, but this was all she could hope for at the moment.

"I'm not here to brag, Shu. I'm here on peaceful terms."

Aphmau's breath got caught in her throat. She hadn't heard that name in years. Maybe he was serious... No.  Last time her guard was down, she was tranquilized. She wouldn't make the same mistake.