Chapter 4: Journey To The Standing Stones.

As I waited for the rest of my injuries to heal, Niylah helped me to make all of the preparations I needed for my journey to The Standing Stones. She gave me one of her horses, weapons, food and a guide to the most secure route to my destination.
On the day of my departure I felt such sadness at leaving a woman I now considered to be family. She was one of the most kindhearted people I'd ever met, selfless and humble.
We hugged each other tightly before I left, tears welling in our eyes, "I owe you my life, Niylah Kom Trikru."
She pulled away and smiled, "I hope you find your peace Clarke Kom Skaikru. There will always be a place for you here if you need it."
I nodded humbly, "Thank you. That means the world to me."
I climbed onto my horse and urged her forward, leaving behind the sanctuary of the trading post and my sister of The Woods Clan.
The ride to The Standing Stones took a few days. I was glad that Niylah's guide helped me avoid any villages on the way, yet I was always mindfull to keep my head hooded, my face covered and my eyes low.
I reached the beach where the stones stood to find it empty of human life. There was an eerie mist that hung in the air above the water as light snow began to fall. Tethering my horse to a tree, I wandered around the area to seek out any hint that a clan of people dwelled near here. I found nothing.
As night rolled in, the air grew colder. I made a fire in the middle of the stone circle and decided to eat before contemplating what to do next. I felt disheartened, but knew I would widen my search in the morning around the shore.
The heat from the fire was welcomed as the snow still fell around me. I watched as the flames danced, hypnotized by them. I thought of the flame on Polis Tower and how Lexa had changed the colour of it to blue to honour my death. It was a bold statement and also a great honour for my Clan, but it was also Lexa's way of telling the world she was hurting. I know because I felt it too. There wasn't a second that went by I didn't want to just ride back to Polis to see her, to mend our hearts. Standing by my decision was becoming an increasingly heavy burden to bear.
I needed a distraction from that which haunted my mind. After collecting more firewood from a ring of unusual looking pine trees, I placed some onto the fire and settled back down to prepare for sleep. As the wood began to catch, the pine needles started to turn the flames green. It sparked my attention at first as I fed the flames more of the pine to maintain it's green glow, until it became a novelty and I gave into the call of sleep.
It wasn't the dawn light that awoke me after that but the noise of something or someone breaking the surface of the water. Out of the dark waters they came like shadows striding towards land.

I swiftly reached for my sword but it mattered not, there were too many of them all armed with harpoons and daggers

I swiftly reached for my sword but it mattered not, there were too many of them all armed with harpoons and daggers. As I slowly got to my feet they began to surrounded me. One of them approched, removing the breathing apparatus that covered his face.
"Lower your sword and state your business," he demanded.
I did what was requested of me, "My name is Clarke Kom Skaikru and I seek sanctuary."
He stepped even closer to me in an attempt to intimidate me, "There is no sanctuary here, Skaikru. Leave before we feed you to the monsters that live in these waters."
I faced him never flinching, "Curious how these monsters you speak of have not eaten you as of yet?"
I watched as he backed down before I continued, "Don't try to intimidate me with your fables. I've seen the real monsters that dwell in this world why do you think I stand here now?"
He looked at the others before speaking, "I'm sorry, Skaikru but there's no help I can offer you for your demons."
As they all prepared to venture back into the water, leaving me behind I put the blade of my sword to my hand and sliced into it. Calling out to them, I held my palm aloft.
"If you won't help then take me to the Natblida known as Luna. Tell her I understand the curse of her blood."
They watched as the black blood dripped from my hand onto the ground. It had peaked their curiosity and intrigue. One of the others present whispered to the man and handed him a small bottle of liquid. Reluctantly he walked back over to me and handed me the bottle.
"After you drink this there's no way back, Clarke Kom Skaikru. Choose wisely."
I paused for a brief second before drinking the whole bottle in one go. It tasted bitter like a strong spirit. In less than a minuet of consuming it I began to feel dizzy. I could no longer stand, dropping to one knee as I tried to fight the effects of whatever drug I'd taken. It was futile.
As my body slipped to the ground my world turned to darkness. I was either about to die or somehow find my way to The Lost Clan and the one they called Luna.