Chapter 25: The Beacon & The Flame.

For a moment I thought I was dead, lost in space and time. As the pain and burning sensation left my body and mind, a spark of light appeared, illuminating the dark void I seemed to be caught in.
As it grew brighter and brighter, I could hear a digitised voice, distant at first, then louder as it spoke.
"Welcome Clarke Griffin of the Sky People. Choose your construct."
I looked around to find the source of the voice but couldn't pin point it's location, "How do you know who I am?"
The voice answered, "Your mind gave me the information. Please, choose your construct."
"I don't understand," I called out, confused by what was happening.
"This is an introduction program to the artificial intelligence module know as The Beacon Of Light. It is the second of its kind, the first is known as The Flame Of Humanity. Your construct is defined as a digital environment in which you would wish to welcome those that come after you," it continued.
Before I knew it I had already subconsciously chosen. From out of nowhere I found myself standing in a beautiful glade in the woods. Sunlight gleamed through the trees as a warm summer breeze filled my senses with the sent of pine. It felt so real.
"Construct complete. Thank you." the voice spoke and then disappeared.
"I understand if it all seems confusing, Clarke," a female voice spoke from behind me.
I turned to find a holographic image of woman standing before me.
"Who are you? I asked.
"You can call me Becca. I engineered the technology that created both The Flame and The Beacon. You are the first of your kind to bond with this module. When you pass from this life your consciousness will remain within this A.I to guide others to create a better world for humanity," she softly spoke.
"You're Becca Pramheda? The first Commander."
She smiled at me, "Here, I am merely a part of the introduction program of The Beacon. Two were designed so that two can guide, The Guardian of The Flame and The Light Bearer. Each will  bring a balance to the other. Stand with the one who holds The Flame, they will need you as much as you need them in times of darkness. What you do in this life will echo in here for as long as The Beacon survives. Make your decisions wisely, stay true to your heart and remember death is not the end."
In an instant the hologram of The First Commander faded as the A.I completed its upload to my mind.
The peace I felt in this digital space was soon broken as in the distance I could hear screams and the sound of war consuming my people.

The noise of the world filtered back to me as my mind left the construct of The Beacon A.I. I had no idea how long I was unconscious for as I lay face down upon the cold ground.
I remained in silence and bided my time, listening for the right moment to show The Queen what a terrible mistake she'd made.
"Death is the end, Commander. See before you, the woman you love lies dead at my feet. Her last moments in this life filled with agony all because of your pride," I heard Freya as she spoke to Lexa.
I could hear more of Freya's people approaching, "My Queen we've found it! There's some kind of temple guarded by priests, the bunker is situated inside. We found this one and the one from the oil rig preparing tech to take inside of it."
"Get your damn hands of me!"
I recognised Ravens voice instantly.
"Good. Keep them alive we need workers with such experience once it's opened. Send the signal to the others. I'm afraid this is it for you and your people, Commander. Your time upon this world is finished," The Queen spoke as I felt her kneel beside me, her hand beginning to search for the A.I she'd used to try and end my life. She continued with her words unaware I was still alive, "Maybe you will find your love in Valhalla after you're gone or maybe not. The halls of my afterlife are reserved for warriors,  not those who kneel in submission like you and the one you call Clarke."
There was a mocking tone to Queen Freya's voice I knew enough was enough for Lexa.
"Wanheda!" Lexa simply replied.
Confused by our language The Queen questioned Lexa's response, "Wanheda? What does this word mean?"
I opened my eyes and swiftly turned my body over to look up at The Queen, grabbing her tightly by the throat with one hand.
"It means The Commander Of Death!" I growled, using my other hand to pull out a hidden dagger strapped to my body before thrusting it deeply into Freya's stomach.
Her eyes widened in shock at what had  become her fate.
"NOW!" Lexa called out to her people who all  revealed hidden blades and quickly used them to kill The Nordic Warriors standing over them.  Indra sounded her war horn to call for the rest of our people who'd been hidden in the tunnels under the city to attack the rest of Freya's people. Our enemies had their guard down, unprepared for the wrath they now faced. We'd led them into the very arms of death, but as a signal flare shot into the sky from Freya's General we now wondered what havoc was yet to befall us.

 We'd led them into the very arms of death, but as a signal flare shot into the sky from Freya's General we now wondered what havoc was yet to befall us

Chaos once again consumed Polis as The Clans fought off Freya's remaining warriors.
I looked up as the signal flare illuminated the sky and then back down at The Queen, holding my dagger firmly in place.
"What did you do?" I yelled in anger.
She grinned back at me, blood falling from her lips as she knelt before me, "Fifty warriors, assassins that move in the shadows now descend, with only one purpose... to fight and die for their Queen."
I looked over at Lexa, alarmed at the prospect of more of Freya's warriors approaching the city, "We need to get everyone inside that bunker before they get here."
Lexa nodded, "Search her for the key."
I pulled the blade from Freya's body and reached my hand inside her armour. Both the Second Dawn journal and the key were securely situated upon her. I took what we needed and passed the items to Raven and Luna.
"Get to work on this, we need that bunker open."
Raven stood up to leave just as Luna spoke to the dying Queen, "The children from the oil rig. Where are they?"
"Near by with the rest we took from your defeated Clans. Not that it matters now. Those that approach will kill everyone in their path and when they see what you've done to their Queen, your children will die too." she answered.
Luna looked heartbroken.
"That's not gonna happen," I said as I watched the blood spill from her body.
"Maybe you will survive my assassins, but not even the The Commander Of Death can stop Ragnarök," she spoke with a grin.
I watched as Lexa calmly picked up her sword and approached The Queen who now struggled to remain upright.
"The Clans of Becca Pramheda will see a future long after your Second Dawn fades to ash. Remember that when you stand in defeat at the gates of your afterlife. Yu gonplei ste odon, Queen Freya Kom Nordica!"
And with that she brought her blade down upon Freya's neck. The Queen was dead.