Chapter 15: A Meeting Of The Coalition.

For most of the night Luna and I helped those that had been affected by the acid rain. Our presence caused quite a stir but we remained focused on the task at hand.
When we became too weary to stay awake, Lexa's people arranged accommodation for us both until the meeting of The Ambassadors in the morning.
As I rested my head upon the pillow, it seemed like only seconds had passed before the morning rays of sun began to beam through the window. The rain had finally ceased, but the atmosphere hung heavy with a sense of foreboding.
Waking up in Polis felt so strange as though I remembered it from another lifetime. I mustered the energy to climb out of bed and dress myself in the fresh clothes Lexa's people had given to me the previous night.
Suddenly, a knock came at the door. I answered it to find a weary looking Luna standing in front of me.
"Did you sleep?" She asked.
"Not really. You?" I replied.
"With one eye open. We've been summoned." Luna said.
I grabbed my jacket and walked out of the room to be met by two of Lexa's Sentries. They guided us to the elevator to meet with Lexa and her Ambassadors in The Throne Room.
"Where's Octavia?" I asked Luna.
"Already with The Ambassadors. She met with Lexa early this morning. Given realisation of what we now face, The Commander has reconsidered stripping Octavia of her position as Skaikru's Ambassador. As for our fate, I guess we're about to find out."
The elevator screeched to a halt. We stepped out and slowly walked towards The Throne Room. I did my best to hide my nerves, hoping that Lexa and The Ambassadors were willing to be open-minded about the information we had brought to them.
As we reached the double doors I turned to face Luna, "How ever this goes, I want thank you for standing by me, even before we knew what was to come."
She smiled back at me, "You have a strong heart, Skai Natblida. Never forget that."
The doors swung open and we walked side by side into the grand room. The eyes of The Ambassadors burned into us but all I could see was Lexa seated upon her throne, regal, commanding and utterly breathtaking.

 The eyes of The Ambassadors burned into us but all I could see was Lexa seated upon her throne, regal, commanding and utterly breathtaking

We stood in the middle of The Throne Room as an uncomfortable silence filled the air. Both of us noticed the seat of the Floukru Ambassador lay empty, not a good sign for Luna's clan.
Lexa sat flanked by Anya, Indra, Gustus, Gaia and to my surprise Lincoln, who now seemed to be one of her Generals.
She broke the silence as she addressed the room, "Ambassadors of The Coalition, you are aware of why I've called you all here this morning. Fifteen of our people were lost to the chaos that fell from the skies. What we witnessed yesterday is only the beginning of what's to come. It would seem the fates have brought Clarke Kom Skaikru and Luna Kom Floukru back to The Capital to warn us of what we now face."
The Azgeda Ambassador was the first to speak out, "Wanheda returns from the afterlife and brings death with her once again. Forgive me Commander but I fail to see the positive in having this Shadow Blood and her Nightblood traitor standing in these scared halls."
Luna turned to look at The Ice Nation Woman, "Echo Kom Azgeda should be more mindful of who she calls a traitor."
Before Echo had time to reply, Lexa silenced the room, "ENOUGH! We're not here to cast stones at each other for our past deeds. The time for harbouring ill will is over. We've already discussed the information provided by Skaikru, the toxic rain is proof enough that what this Queen Freya speaks of is the truth. We all face death if this Second Dawn sanctuary cannot be found and war for the right to claim it if it is indeed discovered."
"What of this Second Flame? Are we meant to believe there is truth in this?" Queried Uzac, The Broadleaf Ambassador.
I turned to answer him, "There's no falsehood in what we saw. Freya has her own Flame, only she is no Natblida. Its kept in a locket around her neck and used as a weapon. There are more questions than answers as to how she obtained it. Right now we need to focus on surviving what's to come because there's no way of stopping what the invaders call Ragnarök, the second Praimfaya."

The Ambassadors spoke amongst themselves  as they digested my words

The Ambassadors spoke amongst themselves  as they digested my words. Gaia clapped her hands together to focus their attention, "SILENCE! Wanheda, you speak of many things. Even if a second Flame exists, there is only one true Spirit Of The Commander, The Flame of Becca Pramheda herself and it resides with Lexa Kom Trikru."
I cringed each time they called me by that name but there were more pressing matters to discuss, "The information speaks for itself, Gaia. I can't change what I've seen. Just as I can't prevent the rain falling from the sky and killing the people of these lands or the air that will become too toxic to breathe. Neither can I stop the radiation and fire that will eventually consume everything on this Earth. Like it or not the coward and the traitor stand before you all asking, not for forgiveness or mercy, but for you to heed our warning and save all that you can from this inevitable fate."
I stood my ground with Lexa's Flamekeeper and the room looked to their Commander for guidence. Lexa stood from her throne and addressed the room.
"There is little time to explore any other options. We have one month to prepare our people for the end of days and even less time for the conflict that moves towards our Capital. I urge you to speak with your leaders, to make a decision for the fate of your people. Those who wish to defend Polis are welcome to ride to The Capital, but be aware if we succeed in finding this sanctuary I fear not all who make it through the battle ahead will have a place inside. Choose wisely, the fate of the human race now rests on our shoulders."
She dismissed The Ambassadors but requested that Luna and I remain.
After they left the throne room, Lexa turned to face us both,
"All but Octavia have requested that both of you be banished from Polis and left to the fires  that surge towards these lands. I've denied them their request."
Luna and I looked at each other in surprise as Lexa continued, "They fail to see the bigger picture. For good or ill you both have a part to play in the days to come. I have no intention of allowing my people to wiped out by another Praimfaya. The legacy of Becca Pramheda is not only the black blood we carry in our veins, it's the link to our past, The Flame and the determination we once carried to survive our fate. In one hour you will be called to meet with Gaia in The Temple of The Flamekeeper. Speak of this to no one. I am about to break a sacred vow that's been honoured for over a hundred years."