Chapter 8: Escape.

We plummeted from the oil rig into the ocean. The impact of the water from such a height knocked all of the air from my lungs, making it difficult to reach the surface.
Before I knew it I was grabbed from the water and pulled aboard a small motorized boat. I gasped for air as the man held me over the side with a gun pointed at the back of my head. If I wasn't convinced the leap from the rig would have killed me then I was now certain a bullet would. I heard a click as the Nordic Warrior prepared to pull the trigger. Closing my eyes I waited for the inevitable. It never came.
Luna had boarded the boat, swiftly disarmed him and put a dagger through his heart. She threw his body overboard just as the boats behind us opened fire.
"Stay low, were not dying here today," Luna ordered.
As she took control of the boat, I moved to the stern and used the man's gun to return fire on the invaders. Those whom I didn't kill were left behind as we sped away from the place that had become my sanctuary. Our people were either captured or dead, our home no longer safe.
After we made it to the shore, we rigged the boat to sail back out to sea. Hopefully, it would add a little confusion to others who may be on their way to our location.
I stood by Luna's side as she watched the boat speed away, "You know what it'll mean if we walk back into Polis after everything that's happened?" She said.
"Yes. The coward and the traitor return to face the wrath of The Clans. Not that it'll matter if The Nordic Queen speaks the truth," I answered.
"So, we just hope Lexa's Coaliton won't demand retribution for our past deeds?" Luna questioned.
I turned to look at her, "They won't, not if we have confirmation of Freya's warning."
Luna seems confused, "How?"
"Arkadia. There's tech there that may help and someone who can find answers and solutions fast," I spoke with confidence.
The thought of returning to Arkadia and Polis  filled me with utter dread. I would have to face Skaikru and The Clans, look my mother in the eyes and ask for her forgiveness and stand before the woman I loved after she believed I had died in The Mountain.

 I would have to face Skaikru and The Clans, look my mother in the eyes and ask for her forgiveness and stand before the woman I loved after she believed I had died in The Mountain

It seemed there was little choice in the matter, knowing what we all now faced.
Luna guided us to a small Floukru village where she still had connections with The leader there. Chief Aila had known Luna and her brother, Aten since they were children and had sympathized with Luna's decision not to fight in the conclave despite what the rest of her people thought.
We told her of the coming invasion and of the threat of this disaster Queen Freya called, Ragnarök. She sent riders to warn the rest of the Floukru villages of the imminent danger and with orders to hold back any attackers  from the coastline for as long as possible.
Aila provided us with her fastest horses for the journey ahead and prepared her people for what was to come.
It was hard for Luna to leave knowing that it would be The Clan she was born into who would be the first of The Coalition to face Queen Freya. The coastal Clan of Floukru would fight with strength but ultimately they would outnumbered against The Nordic Armies. We said our sorrowful goodbyes and honoured the duty that now lay before us.
The ride to Arkadia took a few days, stopping only to rest the horses. We reached the lands of Skaikru as the midday sun blazed across the landscape. In the distsnce I could see the silhouette of The Ark, it's metallic, arched structure reaching into the sky. My heart began to race, anxious of once again stepping onto the lands of my people.
As we paused for a moment, Luna could see I felt apprehensive of what we were about to do.
"Are you ready to do this?" She asked.
I inhaled deeply before exhaling, "Ready to return from the dead?... I've never been so afraid of living than I am right now."
My Floukru companion held out her arm to me as a gesture unity. I grasped it tightly with my own as a look of determination blazed in Luna's eyes.
"Together, Skai Natblida. We do this together!" She spoke with a strength I needed to hear, to know that I wasn't alone.
I nodded in response before we urged our horses onwards towards the place I was born, the place that had mourned the death of Clarke Kom Skaikru.