Chapter 5: A New Life.

A few hours had passed before I awoke. My head throbbed as I opened my eyes to find myself laying upon the floor inside a darkened room.
Aside from a jug of water and a cup, the room was completly empty. It felt more like a prison cell than a sanctuary for those who wished to leave the world behind.
I refrained from drinking the water, unsure of what it could be laced with. Standing to my feet, I walked over to the door and attempted to open it. When it wouldn't budge, I banged my fists upon it in order to get the attention of whom ever was on the other side.
It wasn't long before I could hear the rattle of a chain dropping to the ground and the bolts to the door being unlock. I backed away to allow the door to open.
A man and a woman entered the room and approach me. "Put these around your wrists," the woman uttered sternly as she handed me a set of shackles.
"Where am I? Where are you taking me?" I demanded.
"This only works in your favour if you comply, Skaikru." She sarcastically said.
Reluctantly I took the shackles from her and clasped them around my wrists, locking them together.
They led me out of the room through an industrial looking corridor. The smell of the sea lingered heavy in the air. We reached a set of metal stairs and ascended until I began to feel a fresh breeze blowing from an open doorway at the top of the staircase.
Moving out into the open I was shocked to find that I was no longer on land but was now standing upon what remained of an old oil rig in the middle of the ocean.
They walked me over to a woman who stood flanked by four other Grounders. She was strikingly beautiful, her long mane of hair blowing in the cold wind as though she commanded the elements themselves. She studied every facet of my body language as I approached, a warriors tactic. I knew who she was before she even spoke.
"They tell me you are a Natblida, Daughter Of The Sky?" she queried.
I wished to remain truthful to avoid any conflict, "My blood is a complicated situation. The Men Of The Mountain caused this. It's a curse I never asked for."
She moved closer to me with a knowing smile upon her lips, "From birth I never asked for mine either. It seems both of us share this curse, Clarke Kom Skaikru. My name is Luna, we have much to discuss you and I."

I spent hours talking with Luna under the watchful eyes of her guards

I spent hours talking with Luna under the watchful eyes of her guards. I spoke of the events that had transpired after The Conclave, Lexa's ascension, The War Of The Shadow Bloods, my abduction and the reasons as to why my red blood now flowed black.
Luna had listened intensely to every word spoken in order to understand why I had made the decision to seek her out.
After she was convinced of my honesty, I was released from my shackles and Luna guided me to her private quarters. She poured us both a drink and asked her guards to wait outside.
"You've come a long way, Skaigada," she said with compassion.
I felt a shiver at the mention of the name I use to be known as before Wanheda, "I've not been called by that name for some time."
"Well, Wanheda seems to belong to the person you're trying to lay to rest and if I'm honest it's a little dramatic for my taste. These warmongers do enjoy throwing around such theatrical titles, don't you think?" Luna joked as she successfully began to put my mind at ease.
I smiled back at her as she continued.
"We don't pass judgement on your past here. Those who have found their way to this sanctuary have done so for many reasons but we all share a common purpose. Here we live in peace, we contribute in whatever way we can to sustain our way of life and we do not tolerate violence. If you truley feel you can no longer walk in the world you were born in then there is a place for you here, Clarke."
I knew that I needed to begin again, to let my old life fade away, "I'd be honoured if you and your people would allow me to stay."
Luna offered me her arm and I clasped it with my own in respect.
"Understand one thing, this new start won't be easy. It can be tough out here in the middle of the ocean, both physically and mentally. You can't always outrun the nightmares that plague your mind. That's the real challenge you now face and trust me when I say, those demons you carry will fight you every step of the way."

Luna spent time introducing me to her people and showing me around their home

Luna spent time introducing me to her people and showing me around their home. There were individuals here from every clan and every background, a community of around fifty people all working together in harmony.
They welcomed me with open arms, without judgment and all that was asked of me was to help with the day to day tasks of everyday life.
I had my own room inside of this industrial refuge, my own piece of a humble life. It wasn't long before it began to feel like home.
By day I helped to haul fish from the ocean and by night I once again began to spent time drawing and sketching. It was thereputic to lose myself in my artwork and to offer my drawings to those around me as a gesture of thanks. Life felt as though it was finding a balance.
It was only my dreams which still burdened me and the moments my mind drifted to Lexa. I awoke one night unable to find any rest and made my way outside to breathe in the sea air. As I sat looking up at the stars a voice sounded from behind me.
"You still don't sleep much, Skaigada."
I turned to see Luna as she sat down beside me.
"You weren't wrong about those demons," I replied.
"Is it the deeds you've done or the people you miss that haunt you?" She asked.
"A little of both," I solemnly answered.
"War twists us into something we never wanted to be, until all that's left of our humanity is broken shadows of the good that once was. A man by the name of Tobias told me that. He was an Azgeda Warrior who fought under the rule of King Theo. During The Great War Of Azgeda he looked over the battlefield at the loss of life and declared to never raise his sword again. He left everything behind and much like the rest of us found his way here."
I was intrigued by Luna's story, "Where is he now?"
Her eyes glazed as she spoke of this man she seemed to admire so much, "He passed away not long ago. Tobias had become our leader but he was more like a father to us all. After his death I was asked to guide our people. Every day I miss him. It's not wrong to allow those we've lost to occupy our thoughts, but we must be mindful not to allow them to consume us."
I turned my gaze back to the stars, "Even if you know you've broken not only your heart but their's also?"
Luna smiled, "You will find a way, Clarke."
She stood to her feet and paused to speak, "No matter what the circumstance I know Lexa would wish you peace," and with that she walked away.
I'd never told Luna that I'd fallen in love with Lexa, but as with most things she already knew. Like Lexa she was wise beyond her years, a mindful leader with a spirit as illuminating as the stars that burned in the sky.