Chapter 16: A Secret From The Past.

Lexa was true to her word. Within the hour two of her Sentries had requested we escort them to The Temple. Luna and I both felt apprehensive about this ominous meeting with Lexa and Gaia.
As we walked into the main room The Commander and her Flamekeeper stood next to something that looked much like the escape pod my Grandfather had used when he made his descent to Earth fifty years ago.
On the side of it was the word, 'Polis' but it was noticeable that some of the letters were burnt off. It suddenly became very clear than an 'A' and 'R' were missing, that the word was meant to say, 'Polaris'. This was the very vessel that carried Rebecca Franco back to the Earths surface after The A.L.I.E Code had been set loose on our planets nuclear defence systems.
"Guard the doors allow no one to enter," Lexa ordered her Sentries.
"Why are we here?" Luna asked.
Lexa looked at Gaia and nodded. Her Flamekeeper handed me a journal similar to that of Queen Freya's but with an infinity symbol embossed upon it and the words, 'Seek higher things.'
"This is the journal of The First Commander. It details everything from the creation of The Flame, Nightblood, how a computer code destroyed the world and her return to Earth to help to save what was left of the human race."
I looked through the pages with fascination as Lexa continued with Gaia's revelation,
"We know about the sanctuary of The Second Dawn. She mentions it in her last entry. It was no coincidence as to why she landed here in The Capital we now call, Polis. Becca knew The Second Dawn leader was responsible for ending it all."
I read her last entry:
"I refuse to blame the many for the actions of the few. If the black blood that now flows in my veins can protect me then it can protect others. Cadogan was right about one thing..."
Lexa finished the last words of Becca Pramheda for me, "... from the ashes we will rise."

Everything began to fit into place

Everything began to fit into place. After Becca had watched the bombs fall from the vantage point of Polaris, she had discovered an encrypted message from one of her team members, a confession of their part in the destruction of the world and that of Sigurd Andersen's. Although they had a place inside of the bunker, they stayed behind sacrificing themselves to make sure Bill Cadogan's apocalypse was successful.
Yet, not all of his followers were aware that this decimation was orchestrated by the man who had now become their saviour.
Knowing that there would be survivors, Becca adapted a gene therapy treatment that was originally created to help to cancer patients. When injected into the human body, it helped to process high levels of radiation incredibly quickly, which is why it was also used by The Eligius Corporation to protect its employees against radiation poisoning on deep space missions.
It was this gene therapy that turned her blood black, that allowed The Flame to successfully bond with her mind and for her to survive the radiation that now covered The Earth.
I found the revelations astonishing, "Becca made the research connection between The Flame and her Nightblood serum after the world was destroyed. That's why her Norwegian researchers knew nothing about it, why Queen Freya has no idea of the full potential of what she wears around her neck. Her people have no Natblidas."
Gaia spoke out is disdain of Queen Freya, "This Queen is not worthy of what she carries. The Flame was created to guide humanity through a collective consciousness of past leaders. She disrespects The legacy of Becca Pramheda. This duplicate should destroyed along with those who follow it's bearer."
"Who are we to say if there should or shouldn't be more than one Flame. The First Commander allowed two to be created, maybe her intension was to have more than one person carry this responsibility?" Luna questioned.
Lexa immediately answered, "Whatever her intensions I know them to be true and just. Which is why we now stand here in this temple."
Lexa motioned for members of The Order of The Flame to step forward and move the escape pod from its position. It took four of them to push it along the floor, eventually revealing something I never expected.
On the ground where the pod once resided was a sealed hatch with the symbol of The Second Dawn etched upon it.

I was lost for words as both Luna and I stared at the very thing that would save The Clans from annihilation.
Gaia broke the silence, "For over a century this secrect has been held by The Commanders and The Order of The Flame."
"Why mislead The Ambassadors about the bunker, when you know of its location?" I struggled to understand.
"Because there is no way to open it. Neither Flamekeeper or Commander hold the key. In such desperate times, revealing this would cause panic. A means to survive what's coming only to have the way blocked. I will not deliver false hope to my people," Lexa solemnly spoke.
"Then we force the hatch open!" Frustration sounding in Luna's voice.
I knew that wasn't an option, "Even if there was a way to open it with force, the bunker would be compromised. There's a chance radiation would leak inside eventually killing any person who is not a Natblida."
"Then we offer our blood to The Clans, give them the protection we have against the radiation levels," Luna suggested much to the offense of Gaia.
"Out of the question. Nightblood is sacred. After all we endured at the hands of The Mountain, The Clans will not accept that, The Order will not accept that," Gaia said in anger.
Luna response with equal ferocity, "You would condemn thousands to death because of fear and tradition."
Lexa's eyes burnt into Luna's as she spoke to her, "You will mind your tongue, Luna Kom Floukru! Show respect for the blood that flows in your veins and to the traditions that are currently the only thing holding our people together."
Luna silenced herself. I understood her frustrations, but maybe there was a solution I could offer. It was a risk but if I was right there was a possibility we could gain access to The Second Dawn bunker.

"It would make no sense for Queen Freya to sail her people across the seas to seek out a bunker she had no access to

"It would make no sense for Queen Freya to sail her people across the seas to seek out a bunker she had no access to. I'm almost convinced the journal she carries once belonged to Becca's head of research in Norway. Sigurd was Second Dawn, he had a place inside of that bunker but never travelled to our shores. Instead he chose to stay in Scandinavia to make sure the A.L.I.E Code did it's job. If Cadogan offered him a place then it's likely he also offered him access," I explained my theory.
Lexa knew exactly where I was going with It, "You think Freya holds the key," she said.
"Yes. We know through our own people there were survivors who weren't Nightbloods, that natural selection found a way. Maybe Sigurd didn't die, maybe he passed on his own legacy to those who survived Praimfaya across the ocean. It would explain how Queen Freya is in possession of the second Flame," I spoke.
Lexa, Gaia and Luna took a moment to absorb my words. Given all the information we now have it was the only theory that made any sense to me.
"What are you proposing, Wanheda?" Gaia asked, wary of what I was about to suggest. Before I spoke, Lexa interjected, "Clarke wishes to make a deal with The Queen."
Lexa could read me like a book. I looked back to Gaia and continued with my proposal, "We have the bunker and there's a strong possibility they have the key, but we need to find out for sure. Freya knows the sanctuary of The Second Dawn is in Polis, it's only a matter of time before she lays siege to The Capital. I propose we seek her out, offer her people a limited number of spaces inside of the bunker with our own. A truce which she will no doubt refuse given numbers she has sailed to our lands."
Gaia questioned my course of action, "And what if she accepts the offer?"
"Then that is a matter for The Commander and The Coalition. Either way we'll gain confirmation she has what we seek."
Before Lexa could answer a member of The Order entered the room and quietly addressed his Commander. Lexa thanked him and turned to face us all, "Queen Freya and her forces have been spotted marching near to the lands of Podakru. It would seem a decision must be made sooner rather than later."