Chapter 22: The Shadow Of Defeat.

The explosions kept on ringing out and with every thunderous crash the dark prospect that Lexa and her warriors were now at the mercy of The Queens weapons.
Enough was enough.
I marched to where I'd rested my weapons,  grabbed my sword and my bow and arrows. Swiftly my mother approched aware of my intensions, "What are you doing?"
I turned to her as I wrapped my cloak around my body and sharply gave my reply, "What does it look like?
"Our orders are to remain in Polis!" She sternly spoke.
"Then consider my name off Skaikru's list," I argued back just as a voice spoke up behind me.
"Mine too!"
I turned to see Octavia standing there, sword in hand ready to fight, "What, Griffin you didn't think I'd let you ride out there by yourself did you?"
I smiled back at her just as we were joined by Lincoln, Echo and King Roan.
"Azgeda will not back away from this either," The King spoke with pride.
As Luna moved to stand by my side I watched as one by one at least ten warriors from each clan joined us.
I was surprised when Emori and members of the Ghost Nation moved to unite themselves with this small army that had now formed. She looked at me, still with anger in her eyes over the murder of her brother, "You are not forgiven for Otans death, Wanheda but I will ride with you. Thelonious is fighting out there with my people I won't leave them to die."
I nodded in a appreciation and understanding.
Turning back to my mother I looked at her and smiled, "You're driven to try and protect me from the darkness in this life but would you rather see me cowering in a corner or fighting to save our people?"
She hugged me tightly, "How did you ever get to be so brave?"
"I am my mother and my father's daughter," I replied with honour.
"Keep your eyes sharp out there and your aim true," she offered me in support.
I smiled back at her before turning to the band of warriors that now stood with me. I looked at them so proud to be a part of this union.
We climbed upon our horses and made our way towards the gates, yet the way was blocked. Lexa's Sentries refused to allow us to leave.
Just as the situation was about to get heated,  the thud of hooves sounded out from behind us, "OPEN THE GATES!"
I turned to see Indra and Bellamy approaching with more warriors of Trikru and Skaikru. The Sentries obeyed Indras command immediately.
"Good to see you big brother," Octavia spoke with a grin.
He smiled back, "What are we waiting for?"
Indra raised her sword and called out, "KOM WAR!"
Our warriors yelled out her words to the heavens, ready to fight until their last breath. Taking a tin of black ink from my pocket, I streaked a line of it down my left eye. Pausing for a moment I understood that Wanheda would always be a part of my nature. I'd seen too Much, done to much for her to simply fade away. Instead of fearing her, I would walk with her, allow her to do the deeds my passive side struggled with. It was time to embrace her power on my own terms.
And so I followed these brave men and women out of Polis to meet with our Commander. The call of battle could not be quelled and neither could the fury of Wanheda.

Our horses hooves pounded upon the ground as we galloped as fast a possible in the direction of the explosions

Adrenaline coursed through my body, allowing me to not give in to the the horrific thoughts that threatened to plague my mind of what we would find on that battlefield.
As we got closer the sound of screams, gunshots and swords clashing could be heard. It filled us all with dread, but the noise of this war was nothing compared to the massacre we witnessed as we rode into veiw of the conflict.
The bodies of our warriors lay scattered across the ground. Men and woman torn to bits by the grenades Freya's army were using to hold Lexa's forces at bay.
The Queen was surrounded by her generals as she fought sword in hand against my people. Such heavy protection meant that she carried the key with her, but not a soul could get close enough to strike her down.
I scanned the war zone, desperately seeking out Lexa. As I moved my vision across the sea of bodies I saw her fighting side by side with Anya and a small band of our warrior's against Freya forces. They were outnumbered and struggling to hold back the onslaught.
Within seconds we galloped into the frey, suprising our enemies with our attack. One arrow at a time I shot down the Nordic Invaders as I cut through the wall of warriors on my horse.
Grenades were still exploding around us as I moved to intercept Lexa and Anya's attackers. I watched in horror as a band of Freya's warriors surged forward in an attempt to cut off Lexa from her people in order end her life. Drawing my sword, I sliced it through her attackers, using my horse to block those that still stood. Octavia and Bellamy made light work of the rest.
Lexa looked up at me, surprised by my presence. Blood covered her face, she was injured but thankfully alive.
"Did you really think I'd let you fight this war without me, Heda?" I followed with a grin.
Even through the pain she was feeling she smiled back at me, "Its good to see you, Skaigada."
I dropped from my horse to stand next to her, our swords ready to continue with the fight. We held back Freya's army for as long as possible, but The Commanders warriors were falling at an alarming rate along with any hope of our victory.

 We held back Freya's army for as long as possible, but The Commanders warriors were falling at an alarming rate along with any hope of our victory

Try as we might none of us could get close to Queen Freya. She was fighting tactically using the grenades to decimate our numbers, then  moving in to strike down any survivors who were left disoriented by the explosions.
Luna, Bellamy and Octavia were holding their own against our enemies, whist Lincoln and Indra had joined their Commander to fight by her side.
Roan and Echo fought with the ferocity of Azgeda in support of Jaha, Emori and the people of The Ghost Nation. Here on the battlefield there was no division of Clans, we were Wonkru fighting for our people.
Yet, no matter how hard we pushed against Freya's forces, they pushed back ever harder. We were now in the centre of a loosing battle with a narrow window of opportunity to get out alive.
Exhausted from fighting and feeling the effects of her injuries, Lexa dropped to one knee after cutting down four warriors twice her size. I pulled her to her feet remembering the words she said to me the day we faced Queen Nia, "On your feet, Heda. If we die today it won't be on our knees."
She looked at me and then at the dead surrounding us, "I fear this war is lost to us."
It pained her to say it, but she was right. Without their bombs we stood a chance, but Freya's armies had massacred our people. Continuing on would mean death for us all and no way of warning Polis of what they were about to face.
"Then we fall back, fight them from the city walls," I offered.
Lexa nodded and motioned to Gustus to sound the retreat. As we climbed onto our horses, Anya and Gustus held back with about twenty warriors.
"I called for a retreat!" Lexa ordered of them.
Anya smiled back at her, "This is the first and last time I disobey my Commander. Ride to Polis, save our people. We'll hold them back for as long as possible. Oso gonplei ste odon."
Lexa knew Anya, Gustus and the others had no intention of surviving, but she knew in her heart it was a necessary sacrifice even though it tore her a part.
"Ste yuj," Lexa uttered to them both as we turned to leave them behind.
We rode hard to Polis to ready our people for combat. Soon The Queen and her forces would descend upon us once more to finish what they started. I looked at Lexa as the black blood fell from her brow and my soul cried for her. She uttered no words, lost in a moment of sorrow as she carried the shadow of defeat upon her shoulders.