Chapter 17: Call To Duty.

After the news of Queen Freya's ever increasing advancement towards Polis, Lexa and Gaia took their leave to discuss the matter and the proposed plan with her Generals. She allowed for Luna and I to stay in The Capital indefinitely, yet always in the presence of her guards.
As I wandered with Luna and our watchful security though the markets of Polis, I could feel my heart aching. Lexa's stone cold demeanour towards me felt like my soul was being crushed. Even the constant glares from the people of The Capital did nothing to distract me from the thoughts that weighed heavy in my mind.
"I sense it's not the fight ahead that troubles you, Skaigada," Luna remarked with concern.
"Its difficult to talk about," I replied solemnly.
Luna looked on with a knowing glance, "You still love her."
I nodded, "I never stopped. But you see for yourself what my actions have caused."
My Floukru companion halted her steps to speak earnestly, "I've known Lexa since we were children. We trained together in these very walls. She was always so focused, she had to be after enduring the loss of her family. I saw it in her eyes every day, the constant battle she fought against losing herself to her sorrow. Yet, through it all she never truly closed off her heart because she knew that our humanity mattered. I told her once that if she ever became the next Commander our people would be incredibly fortunate. She would bring a balance unlike any other because of her humanity. Lexa honours our traditions but she is strong enough to see when other things should matter more. Give her time, Clarke."
I sighed, "Time is something that's no longer in abundance. I've lost her to a decision I'm now regretting and when the death wave comes for us all, I fear I will pass from this life knowing I broke the heart of the only person I've ever fallen in love with."
As she saw a tear fall from my eye, Luna pulled me into her arms to console me. I couldn't break down. If I let go of the overwhelming sorrow that had begun to consume me I would be lost to it.
Luna pulled away from the hug to face me, determination blazed across her eyes, "Then we do whatever it takes to survive, to mend what's broken."
I smiled back at her, appreciating the guidence she offered. Since knowing her, Luna has always shown me a way out of my darkness.
As we continued to walk in the open air of Polis, Anya swiftly approched us. She was as equally unimpressed by our return to Polis as The Ambassadors were.
"Anya Kom Trikru. It been a long time since we stood in The Capital together," Luna remarked.
Anya offered only a stern reply, "I'm not here to exchange pleasantries with either of you. If it were my decision both of you would be cast out of Polis. The Commander seems to think you have some worth in facing the days that lay ahead of us."
Luna replied sarcastically, "Then it's fortunate for us Lexa is Heda and not you."
I could see the fury in Anya's eyes, "Indeed. A blessing you may come to regret. At sundown you will be guided to a rendezvous point. We're about to find out if this Nordic Queen has what we seek."

Neither of us expected to be called to duty by Lexa, but as the skies darkened with the veil of night we were provided with horses and led out of Polis by Lincoln

Neither of us expected to be called to duty by Lexa, but as the skies darkened with the veil of night we were provided with horses and led out of Polis by Lincoln. He was the only one of Lexa's General's that seemed genuinely happy I'd survived Mount Weather.
Lincoln explained that only a select few close to The Commander were informed of the mission to seek out Queen Freya. Once confirmation of her possession of the key was obtained, then and only then would The Coaliton be informed of the situation with The Second Dawn bunker.
Both Luna and I were apprehensive of our part to play in this.
"I fail to see why we're is needed in this situation, if anything our presence will antagonize The Queen," Luna queried.
"That's the point. A leader who thinks in anger moves with clouded judgment. As far as The Commander is concerned once we know of the existence of the key, their will be no place inside of that bunker for The Queen or her people," Lincoln answered.
Lexa was playing a dangerous game. The offer of a truce between The Coalition and The Queen would save time and bloodshed, but it was no longer my place to question the decisions of my Commander.
As we rode through the woods, it wasn't long before we approched Lexa, her Generals and about ten of her Sentries. She's kept the numbers traveling onwards low to avoid suspicion and to make it clear to Freya this wasn't an attack but a meeting of leaders.
Lexa looked around at those present, "Good. Now that we're all here, let's not waste anymore time in seeking out this Queen. We've a long ride ahead of us."
She turned her horse and urged it forward, as the rest of us followed behind.
It took two days of solid riding towards Freya's last known location to finally see for ourselves the army that was moving towards Polis. A thousand warriors led by a Viking Queen with war on her mind.