23} I'm Learning

Y/n's pov

"Is he alone?" The captain asks, grinning wildly at me.

"Yes he appears that way."

"I will be out in a minute, tell him to wait."

My chest tightens painfully as my mind races at a million miles per hour. Who would come out here for me??

"Come now, (y/n). Aren't you glad you might be going home?" My captor smirks whilst glaring down his nose at me. I've never looked at this man in fear, yet now I see the flicker of shining, brilliant danger in his stormy eyes.

My shoulders involuntarily begin to tremor which only widens his smile.

"Aww, lost your nerve? It's ok, I like you much better this way." His cold hands grip my shoulders tightly as he pushes me in front if him and towards the tent exit. "Behave yourself. Do what I say when I say it or I'll kill whoever is waiting out there. Understand?"

I simply nod as I'm forced out of the tent, stumbling through the freshly fallen snow and barely managing to remain on my feet.

The painful grasp on my shoulders steers me through the camp as I rapidly scan every face I can see around me, searching for the face I'll hopefully find familiar.

Hokori, are you here? I ask timidly.

A low rumble resonates through my head.... Does that count as a reply or am I going to die?

My thoughts are whipped aside by an all too familiar voice. One I didn't think I'd be hearing for a long time.

"If a single hair on her head is out of place then all of you will be in for a world of pain."

Tears begin to prickle at my eyes as my heart swells, it's been so long since I've seen him.

"Maes!" I shout as loud as I can, like I've been screaming soundlessly in a nightmare for days and now I've finally got my voice back.

I lurch forwards, breaking into a sprint and pelting towards the man, who turned as soon as I'd called him. I barely notice his eyes as they widen or the subtle clenching of his jaw, I focus solely on my intense desire for a good hug and maybe even a hand stroking my head protectively.

"Uh uh, no you don't." Some poor soul in a Drachman uniform clamps his hand around my upper arm and hauls me back. "This is a trade, is it not? Where's your bargaining chip?"

"I couldn't convince Fuhrer King Bradley to sign S. J. Kimblee's release papers, it seems we aren't willing to trade him." Maes says, briefly glaring at the commander as he speaks.

"In that case, it's very nice of you to show up. Would you like to hang around so you can see me slit this lovely lady's throat?" He chuckles and steps towards me as I pull on the iron grip around my arm.

"Touch her and I'll make sure you die slowly." He growls.

"Be quiet, you have no power here. Bakker," he notions to a younger soldier and smiles at me, "kill this man and send him back. Maybe then we will get proper results."

The soldier, Bakker, aims his gun as he approaches Hughes.

"I didn't say I had nothing to trade." Hughes breathes, his eyes still trained intently on the captain's.

"Oh, enlighten me then," he chuckles as he approaches me from behind and runs a finger across my cheek and down to my neck. "But you'd better make this deal really good. I've grown pretty attached to our little girl here and it won't be easy to let her go."

Although my back is to him I can only guess that he's smiling like his usual, insane self.

"Trade her for me." Maes blurts out, stepping forwards.

Something is wrong here.

I know he's in enemy territory so it's understandable that he'd be cautious, but he's still acting strangely. Is something about to happen?

I glance around, subtly searching for signs of help. Maes can't have come alone, right? He's not that stupid.

"That seems pretty pointless. We have you too now anyway, why would I let her go?" Officer I-really-should-have-asked-for-his-name chuckles, lowering his hand from my face and grabbing a pistol from his holster at his hip.

Hughes' eyes follow it as its aimed over my shoulder and right at his head.

I clench my jaw tightly and struggle to escape the holding the soldiers keeping me still whilst the white haired man grins at Maes.

"I could keep both of you but I think it would be more fun to kill you and watch her squirm. Maybe they'll trade your dead body for Kimblee?" He cackles and clamps his hand tightly on my shoulder to steady me whilst he takes aim.

His head moves closer to my ear and he whispers softly,

"Where should I aim? A straight,quick shot to the head? Or should I go for the abdomen, make him suffer first?"

"If you hurt him-"

BANG

My ear explodes with hot, high pitched pain as the gun goes off next to my head, forcing my eyes to close whilst I feel a trickle of blood begin to leak from my ear.

Without warning, my whole body begins to shake and my head feels as if it's being split in two, forcing my mouth open in pain as I scream.

Warmth prickles my skin and it dawns on me that I'm not the only one screaming - I'm joined by the majority of the men in the camp, their tortured howls echoing mine like a hellish choir.

My pain begins to dull as their cries get louder, before beginning to fade entirely.

As my eyes finally manage to focus on the scene around me I'm confronted with nothing but flames. The camp. The soldiers. The captain. Everything is burning apart from one man lying in the snow, clutching his stomach as he bleeds through a royal blue uniform.

"...Maes..." I mumble, falling to my knees as the world spins around me and my head throbs.

.
.
.

"(Y/n)! Brother they're here!"

.
.
.

"Hey, stay with me (y/n). It's Ed, I've got you now, don't worry. It will all be ok."

.
.
.