Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Was he serious? I thought. I don't even know this man.

"I'm sorry, but I can't." I said answering his question.

"May I ask why not?"

"Because I don't know you! I don't even know you name." I said getting ready to walk away.

"It's Chris. My name is Chris."

I just glanced at him over my shoulder and kept walking. He flashed me that gorgeous smile once again, which made me blush and my stomach started to flutter.

I tried to hide from Sara by going out back to finish up the dishes, I knew she would ask questions. But she found me and as I suspected she wanted to know why he grabbed by arm.

"What did he want?" Sara asked.

"He asked me on a date!"

"And?"

"I said no!"

"How come?" Sara sounded shocked. "He's so handsome." She added.

"I didn't even know his name until 2 minutes ago Sara!"

"So..."

" I'm not going on a date with him, let's drop it ok!".

"Fine, but he will be back again tomorrow." Sara said pouring a cup of coffee.

I finished up work a little after 4, I ran a few errands before going home. My life was anything but exciting, making a very short stop to make sure my dad was still alive, I left and went to the movie store, rented "The Notebook" , picked up a bag if popcorn and made a bee line for home.

Watching the movie all I could think about was finding a love like Noah and Allie's. But love like that does exist. I have never even been in love, a boyfriend here or there but it was nothing more than fling really.

With all this running threw my head somehow Chris, the suit guy from Betty's popped in my head. Maybe I should give him a chance? I mean I'll never get to know him if the only interaction we have is inside the diner, and our only conversation consist of "what can I get you sir" - "the usual" .

I worked the evening shift the next day, so I had all morning to think of something to say if I seen Chris again. I came up blank!

Maybe by the time my shift starts I'll have missed him, or maybe he will pretend yesterday never happened and I'm overthinking this whole thing. I did say no, I don't know why I'm getting to worked up.

I reached the diner shortly after 11:30. Getting a cup if coffee I sat with Pete in the back room until our shift started. Pete and I have worked almost all the same shifts since I started, and I was fine with that! He was easy to get along with, and fun to work with.

I wasn't even out of the kitchen when Sara approached me, "he said he wanted to wait for you" she nodded towards Chris sitting at his normal table.

"Really?" A smile crept upon my face.

"Do you think I should just get him what he usually has without asking" I asked looking a Sara.

"What if he wants something different?" She said with a small laugh and an arched eyebrow.

"Your right, I should just ask."

I took a deep breath, tried to clam my shaking hand, and walked towards him. Trying not to trip over my own feet, or someone else's! I don't know why I was nervous all of a sudden.

"Good afternoon. what can I get you today?" I could hear the nervousness in my voice.

"Dinner with you would be nice!" He said with a big smile.

I didn't know what to say, for a moment I just stood there with a blank look on my face. Finally I managed to arch my eyebrow, crack a grin and say "how about the usual?"

"The usual is fine." The smile was now gone from his face, and he looked disappointed, like he thought today be different from yesterday, that I would say yes.

Chris ate his lunch slow today, looking out the window. Standing behind the counter I couldn't help but stare. The diner was empty now, the lunch rush was over, besides Chris sitting at the table in the corner.

"I think you should give him a chance! You know he is only going to keep coming back to you say yes." Pete says from the kitchen.

"How did you know about that?" Knowing that Sara has probably told every staff member here by now that he asked me on a date.

"Sara." A simple answer.

20 minutes have gone by since he finished his lunch, and it didn't look like he planed on leaving anytime soon. Since I haven't seen him look at his phone today my guess is it's his day off, even tho he is still wearing a suit, which was a nice look, but I wondered if he wore anything other than a suit?

Handing him his bill the words "ok" popped out if my mouth. I didn't plan it, it somehow was out of my control.

"Ok what?" Chris asked, looking confused.

"Ok I'll go to dinner with you, under one condition." I paused and finally said "no suit!"

His face was serious for a moment then he smiled a said "Deal, I'll pick you up at 8?"

"8:30. I don't get off work till 8:00." Hoping in the back if my mind I can manage to make it home and get cleaned up in a half hour.

He placed a 20 dollar bill on the table, stood up and took a step towards me, "I'll see you then".

The rest of my shift I was a nervous wreck. A million questions were going threw my mind. "why did I say yes?", "what will I wear?", "should I cancel?", "can I get ready in 30 minutes?".

By 7:00 it was pretty slow and time was dragging. I just finished mopping the floor and filling the salt and pepper when Ann came from out back.

Ann was the night supervisor, and has worked here since god knows when.

"Hey Nancy, you can go home if you like?"

Relieved I gave her a smile and just said "thanks Ann, I'll see you on monday".

I have a every Sunday off since I started. Just the way I liked it.

Now I had an hour and a half to get ready. It gave me more time to think, which wasn't a good thing. But I tried to block out the numerous questions bouncing back and forth in my head.

Deciding to leave my frizzy brown hair curly, I put on a little mascara, a bit of blush, and some lip stick. Then I went to the closet and not knowing where we were going made it hard to decide what to wear.

After countless outfits I decided on my best black skinny's, a white blouse, and white flats. Dressy yet casual.

My heart leaped to my throat when the door bell rang. I looked in the mirror, checked my hair and make-up, then headed for the door. Once I reached it, I took a deep breath, fixed my clothes and opened the door.