Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Chris's mom came out to greet us once we got out of the limo. She was tall with blonde hair, skinny with a beautiful smile. And his dad not far behind her. Chris looked just like his dad, tall and handsome.

"Welcome you guys." Chris's mom extended her hand to shake mine.

"Hi. I'm Nancy, it's really nice to meet you." I was shaking.

"Hi Nancy, I'm Lucy and this is my husband, Chris's dad Jim. We are so happy to meet you." She said all smiles.

"It's nice to meet you both." I looked at Chris who was looking at me.

After introductions we all headed inside, the inside was bigger than the outside. The ceiling was about 15 feet high, with big chandeliers, the walls were striped red and cream, and similar to Chris's house there was a big set of steps right in front if the door.

Dinner was ready when we got there so after a quick tour we heading to the dining room. A couple of waiters came threw the double doors carrying small round bowls and placed one in front of each of us.

It was a beef soup, very delicious. Once we were finished the waiters took our bowls, a few minutes later returned with spaghetti pasta and garlic bread. I loved spaghetti, but this spaghetti was amazing like I've never taste before.

"So Nancy, what do you do?" Asked Jim.

"We'll Mr. McGrath right now I work at a diner called Betty's, but I'll be attending New York university in January." I guess I made up my mind. Or maybe I wanted them to like me, was I trying to impress them? I could see Chris's face light up after I said it.

"What will you study?" Lucy butted in.

"I'll be studying social work, I want troubled kids to have better homes and better futures." I replied

"That's nice." Lucy said.

The waiters came and took our plates and came out with another. Small round plates with a square piece of chocolate cake. Before I could get my first bite Chris's dad asked another question.

"How did you guys meet?" Asked his dad.

"Chris came into the diner 8 days straight, he finally got the courage to asked me on a date after the 8th day."

"How cute." Said Lucy eating her cake.

We all moved to the living area when we finished. Chris and I sat on the love seat next to the window and Jim and Lucy sat on the couch across from the fire place. So far they haven't asked about my parents. Maybe they already know? I mean it is their rehab centre, they must know.

"Is this your first time to New York Nancy?" asked Lucy.

"It is. Chris gave me a tour today everything is so beautiful here. I'm excited to start a new chapter if my life here." I smiled a placed my hand on Chris's lap. He smiled back.

"I bet you will since it's coming out of my sons pocket!" Jim said.

"Dad! Jim!" Yelled Chris and his mom, shocked.

"I'm sorry sir, I told Chris not to but he insisted." I said looking at my hands now folded in my lap.

"You don't need to apologize Nancy, your out of line dad. Come Nancy we are leaving." He stood up and held out his hand and I took it.

"Chris. Chris don't leave please." Shouted Lucy chasing after us.

We reached the limo parked outside, Chris opened the door for me and I got in, then he walked towards his mom gave her a kiss on the cheek, whispered something in her ear, and walked back to the limo and got in waving good bye to his mom. I felt guilty. Did Chris's parents think I was with him for his money? I didn't even know he had money until I had already fallen for him.

"I'm not with you for your money, I hope you know that." I said as soon as he got in the car. I had to get it off my chest.

"I know. I'm so sorry about my dad, he thinks because I want to put you threw school your with me for the money, he does not understand that I want to do this for you not that you asked me to do it." He said.

"It's ok."

I went straight to the bathroom when we reached Chris's house. I felt guilty, upset, and a little angry at Chris dad. I should just tell Chris I changed my mind about school, but Chris will think its because of his dad. Was it? I was so confused, everything seemed to make sense until tonight.

"You ok in there?" Chris knocked on the door.

I walked over to the door, put on a fake smile and opened the door.

"I'm fine, I just needed to pee." I lied.

"Would you like a glass of wine?" He asked.

"More like the whole bottle." I shouldn't have said that.

"Nancy I didn't want a perfect day to end like this I'm truly sorry."

"I'm sorry too, I just wanted them to like me, instead they think I'm a gold digger." I said to him.

"Don't mind my dad please. Let's finish our evening in a better way."

Chris took my glass of wine, placed it on the table then grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the door. He took the car keys off the hook, then dragged me outside to the Audi.

"Get in." He gestured as he opened the door.

"Where are we going?" I was excited. Chris seemed like a kid in a candy store.

"You'll see." Was all he said.

Time square!

"Wow Chris, you were right it's stunning at night. Can we walk around a little?" I wanted to see everything up close.

"Whatever you want." Chris leaned over a gave me a kiss. Then said "I don't know if I told you, but you look beautiful."

"Thank you! You look pretty great yourself! But I have to admit I kinda miss the suit." I told him.

"The suits are always there."

We walked along time square, the lights were glistening, there were people walking, talking and laughing, it seemed so magical. I didn't want to leave, how was I suppose to go home after being here? How will I tell the best people and bosses in the world I'll be leaving? I mean I knew I didn't want to work at Betty's forever, but I didn't think I'd be leaving this soon! I'm going to miss it.

"What's on your mind?" Chris asked slipping his hand in mine.

"Leaving home, Betty's, everything behind. But I'm excited to start over. To have a sober dad, a career instead of a job. An amazing boyfriend!" I answered.

"Boyfriend?" He said looking serious.

Oh god. Did I get what's going on completely wrong? Were we not dating, did he not want to be with me? A million questions ran threw my head in a matter of seconds until Chris spoke again.

"How about fiancé?"

Chris got down on one knee took my hand and started talking.

"I know we have only known each other for about a month, but in that month I have felt more happiness than I have my entire life. We don't have to rush into a wedding but I want to know this is real." He paused

"Nancy lane, will you marry me? And become Mrs. Nancy McGrath?"