Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I didn't know what to say! Yes? No? Maybe? Chris was just knelt there in front of me on one knee and I was speechless.

"Please say something." He said after a few moments.

"Yes." Wthout even thinking the word came out of my mouth.

Chris jumped up and kissed me, and tears streamed down my face. Tears of joy. Fear. What will happen now? Will I get use to his life style? I have never had a big amount of money, just enough to get by. I've never driven a fancy car, or lived in a big house, or even owned my own house. I've worked at Betty's for almost 3 years and soon I'll have a career in social work. Chris is the best thing that has ever happened to me, I should never doubt that.

"I can't believe this." I said looking down at the ring on my finger.

"Me either. I kind of thought it was a long shot after only a little over a month." Chris admitted.

"I'm sorry I took so long to answer, I was shocked!" I leaned in and kissed him again "I love you Chris."

"I love you too, let's get some sleep, we head back tomorrow to get your dad ready."

It seems like forever to get home. It was a completely different trip that it was going to New York. I couldn't sleep, once we got to the airport it look a long time for our luggage to come threw, and the Audi was blocked in by another car. When we finally got out we headed to the hospital first to see how my dad was doing.

Riding up the elevator I was a nervous wreck, I have never seen my dad sober, I didn't know how he was going to react to me and Chris. Maybe I should wait to tell him. We walked out of the elevator and straight to the nurses station

"Hello. I'm here to see my dad, Bill lane" I said to the nurse sitting at the desk.

"I'm sorry, you have to go to the 6th floor. Your dad was brought up this morning for observation." She said.

"Observation for what?" I was starting to get a little worried.

"You should talk to him doctor. I'll call him and let him know your coming." She told us politely.

"Thank you."

I rushed to the elevator, Chris following behind me. What happened? What did he do? Why is he up here? How come no one called me? So many questions, and I just wanted answers. Now! When we reached the top just before the doors opened Chris took my hand and told me "I'm here for you Nancy, everything will be ok."

When we got off the elevator and walked down the short hall way the doctor was waiting for us at the nurses desk. My hands were shaking and my heart was pounding. Chris's hands rubbed my back to try and calm me down.

"Miss. lane." The doctor reached out and shook my hand, and nodded at Chris.

"What's going on with my dad? Why did no one call?" I was upset.

"I did try miss, but your phone was off." He explained.

"Must have been while we were on the plane." Chris said in a low voice.

"Your dad managed to get a hold of some alcohol, shortly after drinking it he told the nurse he was going for a shower, after 25 minutes she went to check on him. He tried to kill himself Miss. lane. The nurse found him on the floor bleeding from his wrist. He used the blade from his razor. We managed to stop the bleeding and get him stabilized. The psychiatrist has been with him all morning, he needs help or the next time we might not be able to save him." The doctor told Chris and I.

"How did he get the alcohol?" I was now angry. He was suppose to be watched at all times.

"Right now the only explanation we can see is the lady who came to visit twice yesterday."