Chapter 9: A New Leg

After my morning visit from Laney and practicing my ADL's, I have some time to kill before physical therapy. I decide to listen to some music. I find my iPod and cue up some Imagine Dragons.

I close my eyes and start singing with one of my favorite bands in the world, "When the days are cold and the cards all fold, and the saints we see are all made of gold..."

I feel the left earbud being pulled from my ear and my eyes pop open to find Ethan plugging the bud into his ear. He greets me with his awesome smile. I'm surprised to realize that, even though I felt a little awkward about Ethan volunteering to join me today, now I'm thankful that he'll be coming with me. He's definitely good for moral support.

We listen to the song, and even belt out the last chorus together, "It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide."

"So, you like Imagine Dragons?" I ask.

"Oh, yeah. I 'em," he nods. "I saw them in concert last summer. They put on a great show!"

"Do you, by any chance, like country music?" I ask hesitantly.

"No way," Ethan cringes. "Why? Do you?" He plasters an exaggerated grimace on his face that makes me snort in laughter.

"Absolutely not." I laugh at the very idea. "I just wondered, you know, because you wear those cowboy boots."

"Oh, you noticed those, did you?" He looks a little embarrassed. "My sister Stephanie bought them for me for Christmas. She's a little bit, um, eccentric might be the best word to describe her. She's very artsy and she loves to try to dress me in more interesting clothes than I would normally choose."

"Ahh, I see," I nod my head. "So, is it okay for you to listen to this music?"

"Meaning what?"

"It's not Christian music." I immediately feel stupid for saying it.

He chuckles at my observation. "Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I can't enjoy good music."

"I just thought you might shy away from a song about demons."

"Well, you and I both know it's not really about those kinds of demons. Everyone has darkness inside somewhere. We all fight against our instinct to be selfish and lazy in order to be good and decent human beings. Being a Christian helps me to be more successful in fighting those daily battles because I know I have God on my side."

I furrow my brow a little, not completely getting what he's saying. But there isn't time for more questions.

"It's almost time for therapy," He announces, leaning over to adjust my foot rests and release the brakes.

His hand is resting on one of the wheelchair arms; when he stands up, I put my hand over his and tell him, "Thanks for offering to come with me today. I'm glad you're here."

His cheeks get red and blotchy and he gives me a small, "You're welcome." He's blushing! And I don't think I've ever seen anything cuter in my life. I've always been a sucker for ruddy cheeks.

When we arrive at the therapy gym, Patrick hurries over. "Ethan?" He asks with more than a hint of surprise in his voice. "What are you doing here?"

The two exchange a hearty handshake with one of those half-hugs that included slapping each others' backs. "Patrick, it's great to see you!" He grins. "I didn't know you worked here. I'm here with Sarah."

"Well, I can see that," Patrick answers. "What have you been up to?"

"I've been at Broadwell since graduation. Just working for a living, you know."