Chapter 20: Holiday

One day, near the end of June, Sam calls me on my cell during therapy, which is surprises me because she should be at work during this time of day. Thinking it might be some kind of emergency, I answer the call, which I wouldn't normally do during an appointment.

"Sarah!" My best friend practically shouts. "I'm glad you answered. Can you come to Philly for the 4th of July? I have two vacation days and the 4th is on Saturday so I'll have a long weekend to show you around and since it's Philadelphia, they really have a big celebration here, and-"

I have to cut her off because I feel like I'm being rude to Fern, who is waiting patiently for me to finish up my call. "Sam, I'll have to call you back, okay? I'm in the middle of an appointment. I will call as soon as I'm done, I promise."

"Okay, love you!" she squeal. I realize that she must really miss me and I feel a little twinge of guilt because I actually haven't missed her as much as I thought I would. I've been spending most of my free time with Ethan, at least when he isn't working. Still, I'll be damned if I'm going to tell her she was right all along.

As soon as Fern is done with my session, Ethan walks in. "So I hear we're going to Philly for Independence Day?"

"We?" I look at him quizzically.

"Yeah, Sam just called and invited me. She said she thought you could still use some help on and off the train and making your way around."

"Oh, I bet she did," I smirk. Neither one of us is fooled anymore. We know she has a very clear ulterior motive. I simply shrug and say, "Sounds like fun."

The second of July arrives before I know it. I've just finished packing my bags. I have to admit that the idea of having Ethan accompany me excites me more than I want anyone to know. I hear the doorbell, followed by my parents boisterously greeting Ethan. They have really grown fond of him. Not only did he save my life, but he is an all-around great guy. I'm sure they are wondering if and when our relationship will progress, too, but I'm glad they haven't been pressuring me.

I hobble out of my room, trying to drag my suitcase along behind me. I haven't mastered the art of walking with my prosthetic leg, let alone trying to carry heavy luggage. My father rushes over and grabs the case with a chivalrous, "Here, let me get that!"

"Are you sure you guys are okay with this?" I ask my parents. "I'm going off to Philadelphia for the weekend. With a boy!"

I know I'm a grown up, but I still value my parents' input highly. My dad smiles, "Ethan will take good care of you." And then he adds, loud enough for Ethan to hear as he reappears in the doorway, "We trust Ethan to take care of you."

"Absolutely, sir," Ethan smiles, his blue eyes twinkling. He holds his hand out to me, "Are you ready?"

I nod my head as my father asks, one last time, "Are you sure we can't give you a lift to the train station?"

"No, thanks," Ethan replies. "It will be fine for me to leave my car in the lot, and then it will be there when we return late on Sunday. No need for you to be out that late."

It's only about half an hour to the train station in East Lansing. We're comfortably quiet during most of the drive. As we approach the train, a staff member lays a bridge plate across the gap between the platform and the train to help me with the step, which seems unnecessary, but I appreciate it all the same.

We find our seats, which are spacious and situated near the dining car. I'm relieved because I'm getting quite hungry as I hadn't taken the time to eat breakfast in the rush of packing and getting ready to leave.