Chapter 21: The Fourth

As soon as Sam leaves the apartment, Ethan looks at me and says, "Take your pants off for me."

My eyes get wide and I exclaim, "Excuse me?"

He laughs and his red cheeks return. "If you put on some shorts, I can massage your leg for you."

"Oh, sure, that's what you meant," I tease him. I go to Sam's room and dig around in her drawers because mine are all longer, cargo-type shorts and I know the massages that Ethan is going to do on my leg. "Oh, good heavens," I mumble when I pull out a tiny pair of yoga shorts. Sam has always been quite a bit more daring than I am when it comes to clothing.

I remove my pants and put on the shorts, along with a larger t-shirt that covers a bit more than the tank top I had on. I walk out, nervously biting my lip.

Ethan responds with a wolf whistle and I look at him menacingly. "Shut up," I tell him, pretending to be offended.

"I made us some sandwiches. Why don't you sit on the couch?" I obey and he comes in with a small tray containing sandwiches, fresh grapes and two cans of soda. We enjoy the meal without much conversation, but soon after we finish, Ethan gets to work removing my prosthesis.

"Lie down on your back," he instructs me. I comply, wiggling to get comfortable on Sam's small couch.

He begins with the same massage and stretching on my stump that they use at the therapy clinic. Then he tells me to turn over on my stomach, which I do. As he continues to work on my muscles, he suddenly blurts, "Did you know you have freckles on your upper thigh in the shape of a cat?"

I bury my face in my arms and burst out laughing. "Yes," I tell him, trying to catch my breath. "I named him Chester."

"You're yanking my chain, right?" He says.

"No," I giggle, turning over again so I'm facing him. "I'm absolutely serious. You can even ask Sam. Most people don't get to meet Chester, though, because I don't usually wear shorts that are so scandalously short."

"You're weird," he laughs. "Maybe you hit your head harder than I thought last night."

"I'm serious. Don't make fun of me and my cat!"

Laughing, he sits down on the floor, next to my head.

"Do you want to sit up here?" I ask.

"No, you just lie there and relax. I'm fine here."

I reward him with a kiss on the cheek and a big grin. "Thank you. I don't know why I'm so much more sore today than normal."

"You're welcome, Sarah," He says and his face suddenly becomes much more serious "I would do anything for you." The way he says anything makes my heart glow with warmth. Somehow, I know he's completely serious, that he would really do anything for me.

I lean closer to him so he knows my intentions; he leans in so that I don't fall off the edge of the couch. My lips make contact with his and my heart jolts with excitement. He pushes further into the kiss and my heart races uncontrollably. When he pulls away, I'm left craving more. But I'm just as happy with his next move. He motions for me to sit up slightly, and he sits on the couch, pulling me back down on his lap. He tucks a pillow under my head and grabs the small blanket from the back of the couch, spreading it over me. He strokes my hair and whispers, "Take a nap, angel."

My eyes are already closed but a gigantic lazy smile spreads across my face.

He called me angel.