Chapter 26

Kayden:

I didn't even have to call them. Did someone else call them? I stood at the door, confused, on why it was that I was seeing the three top council members here.

"Well, aren't you going to let us in?" Davidson, the third council member asked. Davidson was an ancient wolf, hell they were all ancient wolves. He had not yet met his mate and had long since given up finding her. He lives in the Norwegian mountains in his mansion. It was said that he was a player and always had multiple, different females on his arms everyday. He had his dark hair slicked back and arrogant curl to his mouth. Rings adorned his finger, sparkling and seeming to make his hands look like flashlights.

"Davidson, why don't you wait until he processes that some council members are here?" Monte, the second council member, asked, frowning at him, calmly. Monte found his mate long ago, but she had died long ago after giving birth to their fifth child. An important artery had gotten torn and their was nothing that could be done. Too much blood loss. He lived isolated from the world somewhere in the North and only came out of hiding when he was called on for meetings or to be witness to pack challenges. He wore simple clothing and his eyes held a sadness, deep in its depth, yet his presence was still immense. 

"Word got around to us, that their has been a challenge invoked, yet we, the council have not given such permission," Robert stated, directly. Robert was the first council member, he was rejected by his mate who was a human due to her already being in love and married. In spite of the rejection, they were close as friends and he stayed by her side and even became the godfather to her many children and continued watching over them and their kids and grandkids after she and her husband had passed of old age. That was like centuries ago, he was now married to strong she-wolf, who's skill in medicine surpassed geniuses.

"Uh-" I murmured, still somewhat at a loss.

"Are you going to let us in or not?" Davidson snapped. I frowned at his rudeness, but opened the door wider and was surprised it got stuck on something.

"Hi, what you three old farts doing here?" Lucy said from over my shoulder. I looked back and realized he was holding the door.

I frowned at him, too, "Don't be disrespectful, they are council members!"

He gave me a look like I was a very perplexing creature he suddenly came across.

"How dare you speak to us in such a manner?!" Davidson snapped, growling. He took a threatening step forward, but suddenly we all froze as a soft wave blood lust touched our conscious. It wasn't as strong as last night, but it was still so bleak that it sent shivers down my spine. I could almost see an image behind my eye of a blood thirsty beast, purring in satisfaction as it dragged its sharp claws through flesh, wetting it's fur with blood. I shivered again, already knowing who was giving off this wave. Just as quickly that wave of dark essence disappeared.

"What...was that?" Robert asked, tightly, in agitation. Lucy sucked in his lip as he sent an exasperated look to the back of the house as if he could see her through the walls.

"None of your, business, Mr. Council Member, now come in, come in, I insist. I don't know why you all just want to stand out on the porch. You'll attract attention, you know," He opened the door wider and dragged me aside to let them enter.

"Wha..?! We didn't choose anything! I was insisting this whole time that he let us in!" Davidson snapped, angrily.

"Did you?" Lucy looked at me with false disappointment, I could see the laughter in his eyes, "You didn't let them in? That is so unbecoming of you."

I glared as he walked past me, "Well, it isn't my house, I can't just invite people into someone else's home."

He looked back at me in mock surprise, "Oh so now you want to be polite at somebody else's house?"