Chapter II

"Prepare for docking! We've reached land!" I heard. I opened one eye as a measly attempt to wake myself. I reached one arm to my face and gently rubbed my eyes to loosen the glue that held my eyelids shut. I let out a yawn and adjusted myself, propping up on one elbow in the swinging bed. The sudden change in position woke my furry friend currently residing on my stomach, and he sprang off.

Then I felt something cold ram my face. Something cold and very wet. I heard a chuckle that sickened me. I knew that ugly chuckle.

"Wakey, wakey, Captain!" I heard him say.

"Bilge-suckling ice rat," I grumbled to myself to where he couldn't hear. Then in a louder tone I shouted at him, "Gray Fullbuster! Out of my cabin now, or I'll send ya to the brig! Savvy?"

"Aye, Captain," he mumbled, taking his leave. I swung my legs over the side of the hammock, groggily. I stood and snatched a towel from the floor, drying myself off. My clothes, that consisted of a black, skin tight muscle shirt that showed all the features of my torso, white, baggy trousers, brown, dust stained, and weather worn boots, a bandanna covering my head and distinguishable coloring of my hair, and a white scale patterned scarf, was soaking in the sea water Gray had thrown at me. It was undoubtedly bilge-water judging by the grotesque odor. What a wakeup call. A smile spread across my face as I remembered how I had once threatened to send him to the brig and carried through. The look on his face as he retreated when I threatened him again. Was the brig really that bad? I found myself thinking.

"Captain! We need you out here for inspection!" I sighed. The inspection. The protocol that suggests weeding out any known pirates. Ordered by the king, who claims it is a foolproof operation. A smirk carved my face. Little do they know that I have a way to pass inspection. This will be fun.

I grabbed my black coat and hat from the coat rack near the entrance. I popped the collar of the coat and buckled a belt around my waist. A cutlass, tucked away in its scabbard at my hip.

I sauntered out on the top deck to be greeted by soldiers indiscreetly rummaging through my ship. I was approached by a formal looking officer, clothed in blue and gold, and he had metals hanging on his uniform. He was scrawny and he held his head high and seemed to be trying to make himself as tall as possible. He had his head up to the heavens, only his eyes glancing downward at me as his snooty figure addressed me in a form as if speaking to the riffraff of rats from the gutters.

"Are you the Captain of this ship?" he asked me, popping the 'p' in ship.

"Aye," I replied, annoyed and trying not to send the man to the bottom of Davy Jones' locker.

"Might you be capable or charged with any acts of piracy?" he asked. Was this guy a complete and utter idiot? Who walks up to the captain of a ship and asks them if they've committed acts of piracy? If a royal officer walked up to a pirate and asked him if he was a pirate, he would most likely deny. How did this man get in charge of inspection with tactics like this? I thought to myself furiously. "Well?" This man is getting on my nerves and he is very close to being shark bait.

"Capable of piracy? Well, anyone is capable of turnin' into one of those fiendish outlaws of common society." I don't even know half of what I just said, but it looks like it worked pretty well. "As for if we've committed any acts of piracy, I would have to deny. You don't see a Jolly Rodger anywhere, do you?" I asked.

The man looked skeptical for a moment, then he softened his strict features and moved his head into a normal position for conversation. "I like you, lad," he finally said. "May I ask your name?"

"Martin, George Martin," I said with a sly smile. He smiled at me and waved his hand to call off the search of the ship.

"Tell me, George, would you care to join me for tea tomorrow at noon? With your first mate, of course. I don't want to be rude, but you just seem like a wonderful young lad that I hope I can be business with," he offered. I had a small smile of satisfaction on my face. This man is as weak as I thought. I didn't even have to use it all that much. I bet I could've won him over with charisma alone, but I really don't feel in the mood to do so.