Chapter XX

I swear, every time I finally think we're in the clear, another ship shows up. This time, it was only two days before we heard a call from Gray while he was steering. "Fleet of ships, coming head on!" he shouted.

Fleet of ships? Well this is different. I saw Natsu bolt over to the prow and look over the side. He looked worried until his panicked expression faded into slight relief.

He turned back around and shouted orders. "Their ships are small, and I think we could handle them, but we've hardly had a break since the last fight," he said cautiously. He turned to Gray. "I think we should head to the nearest port. Maybe stay there overnight. We're long overdue for a break."

Gray nodded approvingly. "Aye!" he shouted. "Lev!" he called. "Where's the nearest town with a harbor?"

Levy thought for a moment. "It should be Hilne about forty-five miles east," she reported.

Erza nodded beside Gray before calling, "Alright, sit tight, guys! We'll be there in about an hour and a half!" The crew let out a few cheers before getting back to their jobs.

I glanced over at Natsu. He was staring over the front end of the ship, watching the fleet as we turned east. His eyes widened slightly, and I noticed the ships turn with us.

After about an hour, we could spot the shore from the ship. But it was also becoming increasingly clear that the fleet of ships behind was gaining on us.

I turned to Natsu, curious as to whether he was at all bothered by this detail. I could tell he was trying to hide his concern, but it wasn't working. He was staring behind us at the fleet of ships following us persistently. They were smaller, but they were faster, and they weren't far behind.

He didn't seem to notice me observing his reactions, and he headed over to Erza. They talked in low voices for a minute, arms crossed, gazes focused on our potential next enemies.

I caught the end of their conversation as Natsu started walking towards me. "Thanks, Erza," Natsu said. "I just wanted to let you know." He didn't waste any time before grabbing my hand and dragging me to his quarters.

I frowned, crossing my arms and leaning against the door. "Why am I here?" I asked.

Natsu was pacing in front of me. "Lucy, do you know who the ships following us are?" he asked me, suddenly looking at me with a serious expression.

I shook my head. "Should I?" I tilted my head.

He shook his head, and looked down, contemplating something. "Not necessarily," he said. He looked up at me with concern.

"Natsu you're freaking me out," I uncrossed my arms, cracking my knuckles in anxiety. "Who are they?"

"They're followers of Tartarus."

My eyes bulged.

'Tartarus. That ship worships demons. If you ever see them again, do not try to capture them. Don't even think about trying. The only thing I want you to think of next time you see them,—because there will be a next time—is that you have to run.'

Next time. That time was today. I'm going to show them just who they messed with.

I rushed out the door, slamming the door behind me, and leaving a shocked and concerned Captain alone, staring at a closed door.

~xXx~

I wasn't sure if I should interfere. I knew of her past with that ship, and I knew if it were me, I wouldn't want anyone even near me. But Lucy wasn't me.