Chapter III

"We had been sailing for days now, relentlessly searching for the infamous pirate ship, Fairy Tail. This was to be my greatest feat, capturing the Salamander and putting him on display for the world to see. Much like how one would catch a lizard to put in a display case. He was to be a trophy that would change my name forever. I wouldn't settle for anything less than him. I let out a soft chuckle. He doesn't stand a chance against me. I've put down countless pirates who claimed to be invincible. Who had never been beaten until they met me. Just like the past, I would strike him down with my blade. I would turn him in to the king, then he would be hanged in a public display of shame and humiliation.

My brooding was cut short when a soft knock was heard on my door. Only one person on this ship knocks so softly.

I put up a smile and adjusted my blouse. I fixed my messy, blonde hair in a ponytail to the side. "Come in, Wendy," I replied to the knock. The door opened to reveal a young girl at the age of fifteen. She was extremely small for her age. In fact she looked to be the age of thirteen or possibly twelve.

"How did you know it was me ma'am?" her soft voice inquired.

"To answer your question, you're the only one on the ship who knocks so quietly, and second, how many times have I told you to call me Lucy?"

"Every time we have a conversation?" she replied, and I let out a laugh.

"What do you want to talk about, Wendy?" Her hazel eyes lit up.

"Oh it's nothing really. I just—"

"Go ahead and take a seat!" I interrupted her. She obliged and continued. Her royal blue hair bounced as she skipped over.

"I just wanted to talk about stuff," she shyly concluded.

I raised an eyebrow. "What kind of stuff?" Her eyes sparkled in admiration.

"Which pirate are we going after this time?" she asked in enthusiasm. I smiled. This girl was just too adorable. I felt a stab of pity for her. She had been through too much in her short life, yet you couldn't even tell.

"We are going after Salamander of the sea," I replied.

"Oh, wow! You are so brave!" Her smile faded.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just, you're like a sister to me. I don't want to lose you too..."

"What makes you think that you'll lose me?" I inquired.

"No one has faced the Salamander and lived to tell the tale..."

"Tell you what, Wendy. This Salamander guy hasn't met me. How many pirates have I defeated?" I quizzed her.

"A lot, but this one is different. We don't know very much about him. We don't even know his fighting style. We don't know his goals. I don't even think Dragneel is his real last name!" she fretted.

"You shouldn't worry about it. I'll be fine. After a long silence, I spoke again. "Wendy, why was it, again, that you wanted to join my crew so badly last year?" I asked.

"Because, I wanted to find the pirates who ruined my family."

"That's the reason I fight pirates. Because, one of those filthy pirates murdered my mother," I admitted. "We are similar, you and I, and it's our horrible past, where we get our strength. The feelings of revenge, pushing you to your limits!"

"Yeah. I just wish that I could see them again, though. Especially him." She stated.

Before we could continue our conversation any longer, we heard shouts and the booming of cannon fire.