Chapter VI

The sound of the crew shouting and laughing in excitement and happiness was the only music I ever wanted to hear. I smiled absentmindedly as I felt the gentle rocking of the boat against the calm waves. I closed my eyes, taking in all the different scents surrounding me. The overpowering smell of the salt in the sea we were surrounded by. The smell of a multitude of different unperishable foods being cooked over a boiling stove. The smell of all of my crewmates, taking advantage of the colorful selection of food before them that was usually rationed. The yeasty scent of beer. I knew who it was that suggested alcohol consumption. Our ship's drunkard: Cana Alberona. She claimed she could see the future, but she was labeled crazy, so no one ever believed her. Gray was manning the wheel, making sure we weren't steered off course. I didn't know where we were headed, but that was all part of the fun, right? The freedom of the limitless ocean. Knowing that you could go anywhere you wanted. I loved that feeling of freedom that the salty scent of the ocean provided me with.

But I wasn't one to just sit around, admiring the happy atmosphere around me. I grabbed a beer bottle from Cana, popping the top before I downed it quickly. My alcohol tolerance was pretty high, though I guess that was typical for pirates. I grabbed one of the few perishable items we had traded for. Though the majority of our stock was filled with items that couldn't go spoiled, we treated ourselves to some fresh food every time we traded. The catch was that we had to finish it before it spoiled, but that was an easy feat for Fairy Tail to accomplish. I snatched the chicken leg before anyone else could, and laughed for no reason as I ripped the juicy meat from the bone.

Wendy appeared behind me. "Big brother?" she asked. I glanced at her in acknowledgement. She pointed to a pile of fruit hidden past a selection of other less appetizing foods. I grabbed a mango and a handful of kiwis before handing them to her. "Thanks!" she chirped, sinking her teeth into the juicy fruit. "Actually, Natsu," she started with her mouth full of mango.

I chuckled, my own mouth filled with chicken. "Yeah?"

"I actually have some questions for you," she tilted her head to the side, displaying her innocence.

I frowned skeptically, "What kind of questions are we talking about, Windy?" I used my old nickname for her, ruffling her hair fondly.

She pouted, quickly patting her long royal blue hair down. That reminds me, she was still wearing that crisp royal blue and gold uniform that made me want to vomit. I'll have to fix that.

"Well," she started, glancing around, "my main question is how you were able to do..." she trailed off, searching for the word, "that," she settled on.

I immediately understood what she was talking about and knew I couldn't talk to her about that where just about anyone could hear.

"Follow me, Wendy," I beckoned her to me as I walked to the helm. "Was the crew nice to you?" I asked, making small talk as we maneuvered through the sweaty, dirty bodies of the crew. It's about time we found somewhere to clean up, I thought.

"Yeah," Wendy smiled happily. "Everyone here's been really nice so far."

"Good," I smiled down at her as we reached Gray who kept hold of the wheel in the rough, weather-worn hands of a pirate. "Fullbuster!" I shouted.

He turned around nonchalantly, knowing my stern tone wasn't real. "What do you need, Captain Ash for Brains?" he asked.

"What have I told you about attitude?" I asked playfully. "Polar Bear," I added.

Wendy watched the exchange with wide eyes. Gray looked down at her as he bumped my fist with his own. "Hey, Squirt," he said kindly. "Sorry for chasin' you earlier. I had no idea you were related to Dutch Oven over here." I growled at that nickname. That's a new one.