Chapter XVIII

I noticed Mira and Levy looked like they didn't exactly know what to do. I also noticed that the enemy master, the man who had spoken, was nowhere to be found. I knew there was only one explanation for that. He had a weakness, and he was just being cautious.

I called Mira over here. When she was within earshot, I shouted over at her. "Mira, take Levy and one other crew member and find their weakness." I didn't take my eyes off of the enemy before me as our swords locked and we fought for the advantage. She knew what I was talking about and immediately set off with Levy to find someone else.

I stared at the man, not breaking my gaze for a second. I saw his arms straining slightly and pushed further. He was incredibly strong physically, but his footwork was lazy. I knew he could be fast if he wanted, but he wasn't. Up until now, I guess his physical strength had been enough to defeat anyone.

Not anymore.

I pushed forward, and watched his eyes widen as his footing slipped back. I leaned in, glaring at him fiercely. "Next time you wanna pick a fight, I suggest you improve your technique." I slid the blade of my sword down quickly, getting leverage against him. I twisted, performing the move smoothly, as I pushed my sword up and to the side, flinging his sword into the ocean. "Because there will always be someone stronger than you."

Just before I was about to slam the pommel into his skull to knock him out, he kicked my knee. I cringed at the sharp pain that shot through my leg and that was all it took.

He snatched the sword from my hand and before I knew it, the sword was hovering just before my throat. I froze. "You'd be wise to remember your own advice," he snarled mockingly. "Because you're right, there will always be someone stronger than you."

He brought the blade back, preparing to swing. I closed my eyes and time seemed to slow down.

~xXx~

Internally, I was terrified. Externally, I was trying to seem brave. I wasn't quite sure it was working, but I was making a serious effort. I wanted to fight—Erza had been teaching me some sword fighting—but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

That was until I heard my brother's order to find someone to find the master's weakness. I saw a blur of blue and white bolt away from him and before I could doubt my decision, I called out to them, "Hey! I want to help!"

They turned to me and shared concerned glances. They ran over to me. "Wendy," Mira started, "I just don't know if you're ready for something like this."

"I'm ready," I protested, crossing my arms. "Look, Erza even taught me how to use a sword!" I exclaimed excitedly. I pulled the small, lightweight sword from my hip and held it in front of me, mimicking a pose Erza had taught me.

Levy and Mira chuckled and smiled adoringly. "Alright," Mira said, glancing at Levy for approval, "you can come with us."

"Yes!" I jumped up in happiness. "Okay, where to first?"

"Slow down," Levy said, laughing. "This is a dangerous assignment. Are you sure you're ready for it?"

"Hell, yeah!" I shouted, mimicking something I'd heard Natsu say. "Now, let's go!"

Mira and Levy chuckled as they followed behind me. When it became clear I had no idea where to go, Mira volunteered to lead us.

We crept across their ship, careful not to attract the enemy's attention. Mira led us quickly through the chaos, heading straight to the base of the prow without hesitation. "There's a crazy powerful aura coming from inside there," Mira explained, pointing down a flight of stairs that probably led to the storage rooms.