Chapter XXVIII

I awoke to the familiar rocking sensation of a ship sailing across water. I snuggled deep into the soft blankets of the bed beneath me. Wait. A bed? But I only ever sleep in... hammocks... My thoughts trailed off as my eyes snapped open. I was lying on a decent sized bed with dark covers. The room had wooden walls, and I was sure it was a room on a ship, but it was ridiculously elaborate. There was wooden trim on the ceiling with elegant carvings, a deep red, velvet chair was in front of a dark, wooden desk. There was an intricate dresser with gold encrusting the edges. Maps filled one of the walls with a tan globe set on the desk.

I would have snorted if I wasn't probably kidnapped. I got out of the bed, a bit disgusted that I'd slept in the same bed as someone I'd never met. Then I realized we were sailing. And we were probably sailing as far away from the Fairy Tail as the captain could manage. I leapt up, slamming the door open and stumbling through the unfamiliar cabin up to the deck. I slowed when I began to think the situation through. I could overpower this crew easily if that was what it came to. They hadn't thought to restrain me or anything, so they probably weren't aware of my powers. This situation shouldn't be a problem, but with the danger of going overboard and bringing out the demon with the use of my powers, it could easily become one.

I emerged from the dark stairway into the intense sun, the smell of the ocean hitting me almost physically. To my surprise, the deck was near empty. There were twelve people who looked to be the leaders of their sections, but other than that, I only spotted one other person standing at the helm of the ship. How had these few people managed to take me from my entire crew? The twelve people gaped at me, staring as if I were an alien.

"Um, hi," I muttered, waving awkwardly.

"Captain Zeref!" one shouted. She had short blonde hair and was holding a large, intimidating sword. I flinched at the name, feeling a wave of nostalgia hit me. I glanced up at the man at the helm. He responded to the call, and I took that as a sign that he was the captain. He had dark hair, completely flat apart from a single unruly tuft poking up from the top of his head. He looked to be a few years older than myself, and was wearing a style of clothing I'd never really seen before. He had dark, gleaming eyes, that filled with warmth at the sight of me.

An image flashed before me, replacing the ship for a split second with the sight of a young, dark haired boy standing over me, worry shining in his dark eyes. A single tuft of hair stood atop his head, refusing to cooperate like the rest.

I blinked, clutching my head in surprise. All thirteen strangers standing in front of me were staring with undisguised curiosity and awe. The dark haired captain approached slowly. He eyed me up and down, pride in his eyes. He smiled at me.

"Well, Natsu, you've made quite a name for yourself haven't you? 'Dreaded Pirate Dragneel.'" He chuckled at the name. "If you ask me, that name fits me quite a bit better."

~xXx~

We couldn't stop Natsu when he attacked that ship. He killed Loke nearly instantly, not even giving us time to process what was happening. Just after deadly sharp claws slit the commander's throat, he grabbed Wendy, shoving her behind him and out of the way. I'd had to cover her eyes as he pummeled just about every member of my old crew, burning the ship in his anger, though he resisted killing any people besides my old first mate. Pedestrians ran, screams filling the air as chaos filled the docks, along with most of Natsu's crew.

We were all filled with shock, Erza the most of any of us; she hadn't yet seen what the rest of us had. I didn't even try to stop him. When the flames burning the ship disappeared, the four of us headed to the very edge of the docks cautiously, trying to spot Natsu on the deck above us. I didn't think it was safe to board the burned ship. It was clearly damaged beyond repair, and would probably fall apart any second now, but I trudged up the gangplank anyways.