Moira (Overwatch)

Moira
Overwatch

Muscle, bone, what made a human, human? What made us as a species our own unique creature, intelligent and advanced, above others in the nigh endless possibilities of the earth? Was it a god? Or perhaps simple natural selection, to whom may know.

These questions pulled you to a life of science since boyhood, you would, of course against your parents' wishes, study and research the many creatures of your home in the countryside.

You took everything into account, the way a bird's wings operate, the cause of a squirrel's unnatural speed, even the inner workings of the fish in the pond behind your home.

Your grades were unprecedented in the academy, and you were given a scholarship to college, where you formulated several theories on how to make the human body greater.

But man, in it's foolish fear of change! They rejected you, your theories, called your tests inhumane, the fools! To not see their evolution in front of them! They could be greater! Faster! Stronger! But their fear held them back, kept them from understanding the true beauty in change.

God help us, god help man.

You did not halt your research, you continued using the college's resources to further your theories, pushing your test subjects to nigh irreversible mutations.

All failures, but progress nonetheless.

The college eventually learned of your experiments, and swiftly had you arrested, declaring you an amoral monster.

They did not understand, what you were trying to do.

Your trial was quick, as your test subjects, now somewhat human, testified against you, calling you a beast.

They should have thanked you, but as humanity is, they reacted with swift anger, and blamed you for their failed genetics.

You were sentenced to life, and droves of people cheered as you were escorted out of court, holding signs that denounced you.

You felt no anger, nor sadness, nor regret, but disappointment.

You were disappointed in your fellow man, as they had the gates to Eden before them, let in hand, but they were to fearful to open paradise, so they threw their chance with you.

You accepted your imprisonment, as there was no point in trying to change their minds.

You sat in your dark cell, near sleep, when a sudden darkness swept you.

You awoke in a interrogation room, opposite a man wearing a skull mask.

???: You're awake, good. Was worried that the tranquilizer was to much.

You: And to who am I addressing?

???: Reaper, of Talon.

You heard of Talon, and you heard of Reaper, but thought not of them, as you were to involved in your research to worry about the world.

You: For what reason was I freed?

Reaper: You're research is impressive, needs some tweaks, but it's near perfect.

You: I know.

A silence swept the room.

Reaper: I'm giving you a choice, join Talon or die.

Your answer was swift.

You: If I can further my research, then of course.

And, in just moments, you were one of Talon's researchers, once again working to perfect your research.