Night One

Chapter One: The First Night

I stood in front of the gates that marked the entrance to the famed Cross Academy, run by the legendary Kaien Cross. It was around noon when I was dropped off, so the sun was high in the sky, and I had to squint my eyes to the immense size of the gate. I heard the gate open, and I quickly fixed my clothes, and secured my weapons.

"Come on, this way." A kid a little older than me said a bit grumpily, and I did as I was told. I took note of all my surroundings. Some people were already milling about, and I guessed it was around the time that the senior members of this school had their lunch from the looks of some of the kids milling about. I looked back at the boy in front of me. He had silvery hair that hung in his face, and violet eyes. He had some ear piercings, and a strange tattoo on his neck, and it took me a moment to recognize the boy in front of me as Zero Kiryu. I blushed, and looked down at my feet.

We made our way quickly, and wordlessly to the Headmasters office, and I bowed out of both respect, and in greeting.

"Miss Sakika Matsumoto, it is my pleasure to welcome you to Cross Academy." I smiled warmly to Kaien, who had a welcoming smile on his lips." It will be a relief I'm sure to have another member on the Disciplinary Committee I'm sure. May I present Yuuki Cross, my daughter." He gestured to a petite girl with short brown hair, large brownish eyes, and a friendly smile.

"Hello, welcome to the Academy!" She exclaimed, and I nodded slightly.

"I'm sure you're already accuqiunted with Zero Kiryu." I glanced at the silent boy that stood by the far wall by the door, and then to the Headmaster.

"I've only heard about him, word of mouth, from my parents and several others. I haven't formally met him until today." I admitted with no particular emotion. It was just a fact I was stating. Kaien nodded, and some unreadable emotion passed through his eyes before he was back to his friendly self.

"Well, Yuuki will you escort Miss Sakika to her room, and make sure she gets properly settled in?" Yuuki smiled, and saluted.

"Yes Mister Headmaster." He whined about called father for a second before Yuuki beckoned me to follow her.

There were people milling about, so it was harder to keep up a fast pace, but Yuuki made sure I wasn't lost. She kept her pace nice and slow for me.

"So...What's with you and the Headmaster? You two close?" I questioned, unable to stand the awkward atmosphere any longer. Yuuki looked at me, and grinned.

"Well, he..He took me in ten years ago. He later adopted me." I nodded at the simple explanation and didn't pry any further.

"So, what's with that Zero guy?" I tried to act innocent, but it seemed that wasn't an innocent question to ask. Yuuki straightened slightly, and her cheeks reddened slightly.

"Zero's family was killed a long time ago, and Headmaster took him in." I nodded; I already knew his family was attacked by a pureblood vampire. It was something my father, a vampire hunter, would talk about quiet often.

"I see."

"If you need anything else, just ask me. Hurry and change, k? Your next class begins in an hour." I nodded, and watched as the girl sprinted out of the room, closing the door behind her as she left.

I looked at the other side of the room, and noticed that that side of the room was already littered with things. A picture of a pretty girl with blonde, ringlet hair tied in a ponytail, green eyes, and a smile on her pale face. She was hugging another pretty girl with straight, black hair, but I couldn't decipher her eye color because they were closed as she seemed to be laughing. They both wore the same, black uniform. I quickly looked away, and began unpacking my things, and changing into my uniform.