Night Twenty

Night Twenty:

The Winter Ball was two weeks away. During that time, we had our Final Exams for the semester. Of course, as always, the class with the over all lowest score would have to work at the ball. Yuki had already gotten it from the class rep about our average, again from what I heard, and couldn't help but snicker at the thought, but quickly stopped it when Zero cut me one of his glares. I knew when not to push his buttons.

The rest of the week was spent doing nothing more than studying in preparation for the Final Exam. We were given worksheets to memorize, small projects, and mostly reviews for the materiel we had learned over the first semester. The pressure was hard, but nothing I couldn't handle.

It was the job as a school guardian at night that seemed to make it harder. I was personally tired, and wanted to go to sleep, but I tried my best to stay vigilante. Other than a few cases of some of the Day class girls trying to sneak over, it was surprisingly easy.

I didn't see any of the Night students, though I sometimes felt like someone was staring at me from time to time, but every time I turned around, there was nobody there. I just chalked it up to my tired mind playing tricks on me.

I didn't really expect to see any of them either, though. I just considered that perhaps they were under pressure to study as well, though I hardly saw the point. They were all already so intelligent as it was.

But I was also very grateful for the time away from them. My time before I had to leave was so short, and I didn't want my resolve to leave to weaken any further. I knew if I saw anyone I had become close to, especially Akatsuki, than my resolve would just weaken that much further every time I saw them, and I couldn't allow that to happen. I never went back on my word, and I sure as hell couldn't let myself go back on my decision. I needed my priorities to straighten out, and the only way to do that, was to leave.

Anyways, a few days before the final exam was given, we were given a pre-test in most of our classes. Overall, I was pretty confident about my overall scores, and I wasn't disappointed when I got the grade back Still, we were given worksheets about what we had to review.

By the time it came for the final exam, I was sure I had everything down. The only thing I was even a bit hesitant in was, as usual, my maths. As usual, everything just seemed like a jumbled of un-matching things that minus well be written in a foreign language. But I was almost confident I could pass.

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

"Oh man, that test was freaking killer. How do you think you did, Sakika?" One the girls that sat next to me smiled at me as we handed our papers forward. I looked at her, and smiled slightly.

"I think I did alright. I'm just not so excited for Mr. Yuji's history test. He always makes the regular tests so complicated, so I'm kinda scared to see how the Final Exam will be." The girl laughed, shaking her head slightly.

"Tell me about it. I have Miss Towaka. I hate her ethics class." We both shared a laugh.

"Well, just one more, and then we're home free!" I exclaimed, she nodded, smiling again.

"Yeah, and then we can finally prepare for the Winter Ball." She sighed in day-dream like way, her eyes getting the sort of foggy expression in her eyes. I looked at her with an eyebrow raised.

"You excited for the dance?" She shook her head, and looked at me with wide eyes, as if the very nature of my innocent was question was stupid. I felt insulted immediately.

"Well, yeah! Don't you know that this is one of the few dances that will have both Day and Night students?" I straightened out, my heart skipping a few beats.